Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for August.
William Mors Audiovisual Collection, approximately 1980-2001. MS-01147. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete William Mors finding aid.
- The William Mors Audiovisual Collection (approximately 1989-2001) contains material created by William Mors Productions and the Las Vegas History Foundation. Subjects include Hoover Dam, entertainment in Las Vegas, Liberace, and the history of Las Vegas. The collection consists of vhs tapes, U-Matic tapes, betamax, and other formats and are originals, masters, edited masters, clips, and final production tapes.
- Subjects: Liberace, 1919-1987; Audiotapes; Las Vegas (Nev.) -- History; Hoover Dam (Ariz. and Nev.); Entertainment -- Nevada -- Las Vegas
Will Vicuna oral history interviews, 2023 June 26 and 2023 July 03. OH-03900. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Will Vicuna interviews.
- Oral history interviews with Will Vicuna conducted by Stefani Evans on June 23 and July 3, 2023 for Reflections: the Las Vegas Asian American and Pacific Islander Oral History Project. In the first interview, Vicuna goes into detail about his family's history, and his parents' life in Quezon, Philippines. When his brother sent Will a postcard of the newly opened Hilton Hotel and Casino, Will decided he would move to Las Vegas as soon as he completed his psychology degree in 1970. He concludes the first interview discussing his employment at the Hilton and the Flamingo Hilton, his 1972 marriage, and his 1973 UNLV graduation in Hotel Administration. In the second interview, Vicuna talks about his wife, Felicidad, who graduated from University of Santo Tomas (UST) in Manila in Medical Technology. He shares details about her career, and then talks about his own career in hospitality, working in a number of Las Vegas hotels including the Hilton and Flamingo Hilton, Palace Station, Peppermill Mesquite, and the Golden Eagle in Pahrump. Digital audio available; no transcript available.
- Subjects: Flamingo Hilton (Las Vegas, Nev.); Oral histories (document genres); Philippines; Hospitality industry; Medical personnel;
Desert Inn Country Club Newsletter Collection, approximately 1970-1979. MS-01070. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Desert Inn Country Club finding aid.
- The Desert Inn Country Club Newsletter Collection (approximately 1970-1979) contains official newsletters from the Desert Inn Country Club in Las Vegas, Nevada, as well as photographs used to create the newsletters. The photographs depict members participating in events and tournaments, and the newsletters consist mostly of black-and-white photographs that highlight club parties and tournament champions.
- Subjects: Desert Inn Hotel and Casino (Las Vegas, Nev.); black-and-white photographs; Golf; Las Vegas (Nev.); photographs