Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for November.
Amy Ayoub Papers, 1906-2022. MS-01157. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Amy Ayoub finding aid.
- The Amy Ayoub Papers (1906-2022) document the life and career of Amy Ayoub, a long-time resident of Las Vegas, Nevada. The collection consists of correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, research, and other material that document the numerous facets of Ayoub's life. The collection covers many areas: Ayoub's early childhood; her family, including father Bobby Ayoub and stepfather Raymond Sutton; her financial consulting career and political work; her experience working as a prostitute in Nevada and subsequent documentary about being sex trafficked and working in brothels; time spent as the first female Nevada Athletic Commissioner; and more. Digital files include audio and video files of Mike Tyson's 2002 licensure hearing, and video of Ayoub's testimony before the Nevada State Assembly Judiciary Committee for Assembly Bill 67 in 2013. There are also digitized photographs that Ayoub used for the documentary The Zen Speaker: Breaking the Silence.
- Subjects: Nevada Athletic Commission; Boxing matches; Prostitution; Las Vegas (Nev.); Political campaigns; Documentary films; Businesswomen -- United States -- Nevada
A Lot of World to See: memoir 1958-1964 by Judith Lee Jones. Newark, Ohio: Proving Press, 2022. Explore the complete Judith Lee Jones book.
- Subjects: Showgirls -- Nevada -- Las Vegas -- Biography; Autobiographies; Travel writing
Carol Terry's "Germans in Las Vegas" Oral History Project, 2007. OH-00143. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete oral history project.
- Carol Terry's "Germans in Las Vegas" Oral History Project (2007) contain the oral histories conducted by Terry while researching for a chapter on Germans in Las Vegas, Nevada for The Peoples of Las Vegas book. Terry interviewed over 60 individuals and the collection contains the printed transcripts and audiocassettes from each interview.
- Subjects: Las Vegas (Nev.) -- History; Oral histories (document genres); Las Vegas (Nev.) -- Social life and customs; Germans