Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for April.
Cherina Kleven Papers, 1989-2014. MS-01092. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Cherina Kleven Papers (approximately 1988-2014) document the career of Cherina Kleven who was the first Asian-American appointed as Assistant Fire Chief for Las Vegas Fire & Rescue. The materials primarily include physical and digitized photographs of Kleven in her capacity as Assistant Fire Chief, magazine and newspaper articles featuring Kleven, and event programs. Also included are campaign fliers from 2010 when Kleven ran for office to represent Assembly District 15 in the Nevada Legislature as well as two commemorative books celebrating the history of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.
- Subjects: Fire chiefs; Fire fighters; Taiwanese; Women labor union members; Asian American women
Elizabeth von Till and Claude N. Warren Professional Papers, 1916-2021. MS-00906. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Elizabeth von Till and Claude N. Warren Professional Papers (1916-2021) are comprised of the personal and professional papers of anthropologist Claude N. Warren and historical preservationist Elizabeth von Till Warren. The materials in this collection primarily consist of research files, maps, and drawings on various archaeological and historical preservation projects in southern Nevada of which they both were involved. This collection includes field notes and surveys from archaeological projects such as the Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort and the Las Vegas Springs Preserve. Records on von Till Warren's involvement with the Old Spanish Trail Association, Southern Nevada Historical Society, and historic preservation work around southern Nevada are represented. Also included are Robert H. Crabtree's archaeological research files, a colleague of Claude Warren who bequeathed his professional files to him upon his death.
- Subjects: Archaeology; Anthropology; Old Spanish Trail; Nevada; Historic preservation; West (U.S.) -- History; Southwestern States
Donna Andress Papers, 1890-2021. MS-01089. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Donna Andress Papers (1890-2021) contain the personal papers of Donna Andress, a longtime resident and activist in Southern Nevada. Materials include correspondence and newspaper clippings from the Nevada Welfare Committee, on which Andress served as chairperson during the 1970s, in addition to pamphlets and newsletters from various Nevada historical organizations and committees. The papers reflect her involvement with community organizations throughout Southern Nevada.
- Subjects: Las Vegas (Nev.); Searchlight (Nev.); Clark County (Nev.) -- Politics and government; Community organization -- Nevada -- 20th century; Public welfare -- Nevada
Sonia Rivelli oral history interview, 2019 March 06. OH-03522. Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete interview.
- Oral history interview with Sonia Rivelli conducted by Nathalie Martinez and Barbara Tabach on March 6, 2019 for the Latinx Voices of Southern Nevada Oral History Project. In this interview, Rivelli discusses her life including the evolution of her cultural background and her role in business. She describes how her parents moved to Brazil from Italy and how she has come to value her cultural roots in Brazil, Italy, and the United States. She mentions that travel was a major part of her life and that she has been to North America, South America, and Europe. One of Rivelli’s accomplishments in her career was helping the development of the Brazilian community in Las Vegas, Nevada. She also states that she created the Aqua Diva Global water purification company in hopes of providing more safe and clean water to all people
- Subjects: Oral histories (document genres); Latin Americans; Brazilians -- United States; Italian Americans -- Nevada; Businesspeople; Water-supply