Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for November.
Tom Hawley Papers, approximately 1955-2019. MS-01081. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Tom Hawley Papers (approximately 1955-2019) contain the personal papers of Las Vegas, Nevada based traffic and transportation reporter, Tom Hawley. The collection primarily includes physical and digital materials that represent Hawley's interests in Las Vegas history; transportation issues in the Las Vegas Valley, including the Las Vegas Monorail and Resort Corridor Project; and his work as a traffic and transportation reporter for KSNV Channel 3. Materials from KSNV include video clips and transcripts of Video Vault, a segment on the history of Las Vegas hosted by Hawley. Other materials in this collection include ephemera, postcards, newspaper clippings, and memorabilia on Las Vegas entertainment and gaming. The collection also includes papers and memorabilia representing Hawley's activities as a string bass player for the Henderson Symphony Orchestra.
- Subjects: Television journalists; KSNV Channel 3; Urban transportation; Radio stations; Ephemera; Photographs
UNLV Libraries Collection of 1983 Hoover Dam Overflow Photographs, 1983 August. PH-00438. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The UNLV Libraries Collection of 1983 Hoover Dam Overflow Photographs is a series of color photographs that document the historic water overflow at Hoover Dam as seen from the Arizona side of the dam. Taken in August of 1983, this overflow marked the first time the spillways were used during a flood. The spillways were previously tested once in 1941 after the dam was initially filled.
- Subjects: Water diversion; Hoover Dam (Ariz. and Nev.); Flood dams and reservoirs; Water-supply; Arch dams; Color slides; Color photographs
Scott Henry Photographs on the Las Vegas Latinx Community, approximately 1983-2000. PH-00442. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Scott Henry Photographs of the Las Vegas, Latinx Community (approximately 1983-2000) consist of 42 photographic prints depicting members of the Latinx community in Las Vegas, Nevada. Thirty-eight of the prints were used as part of a collaborative project between Scott Henry, photographer and editor for the Las Vegas Review-Journal, and Thomas Rodriguez, a prominent member of the Latinx community in Las Vegas, for an exhibit of the Las Vegas Latinx community. Henry and Rodriguez together planned who to photograph for the exhibit. The photographs demonstrate the impact that the Latinx community has on the region's political, economic, and social growth and development. A number of the photographs show early members of the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), including John Mendoza, Delia Martinez, Tom Rodriguez, Bob Agonia, Corrine Gutierrez, Nick Flores, Grace Salazar, and Gus Ramos.
- Subjects: Photographs; Latinxs; Latin Americans; League of United Latin American Citizens
Northern Nevada Neon Photograph Collection, 1913-2010. PH-00439. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Northern Nevada Neon Photograph Collection (1913-2010) is comprised of photographs of neon signs located mainly in northern Nevada cities and towns, including Elko, Ely, Carson City, Hawthorne, Reno, and Winnemucca. The collection consists of both digitized and born-digital photographs from multiple institutions and were gathered as part of a joint grant project.
- Subjects: Neon signs; Hotels; Casinos