Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for May.
Hughes Aircraft Retirees Association Records, 1940-2018. MS-01146. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Hughes Aircraft Retirees Association finding aid.
- The Hughes Aircraft Retirees Association (HARA) Records (1940-2018) contain a variety of publications, organizational charts and technical reports, audiovisual materials, and photographs related to Hughes Aircraft Company and Hughes Electronics. These materials were gathered by members of the Hughes Aircraft Retirees Association, a social organization for retirees of Hughes Aircraft Company including Boeing, Raytheon, and Kinecta.
- Subjects: Hughes Aircraft Company; Hughes Electronics Corporation; Aviation; Aerospace industries; Los Angeles (Calif.)
Joanna Ullman oral history interview, 2023 April 21. OH-03895. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Joanna Ullman oral history.
- Oral history interview with Joanne Ullman conducted by Jerwin Tiu, Cecilia Winchell, and Stefani Evans on April 21, 2023 for the Reflections: The Las Vegas Asian American and Pacific Islander Oral History Project. In this interview, Ullman describes her childhood in a close-knit family in New Jersey. She discusses having a balance of Filipino culture at home, while also experiencing the impact of growing up in both an ethnic and socioeconomic minority. Ullman discusses studying molecular biology at Montclair State University, and went on to pursue a masters degree in data analysis at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) and then eventually her Ph.D. in psychology. Currently, she spends her time as a full-time professor at UNLV teaching statistics. Throughout the interview, Ullman reflects on her career with fondness, having achieved many feats in research, publishing, and is proud of the way she has raised her family.
- Subjects: University of Nevada, Las Vegas; Oral histories (document genres); Psychologists; Education (Higher); Filipino Americans
Ron Tomlin oral history interview, 2022 December 20. OH-03893. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Ron Tomlin oral history.
- Oral history interview with Ronald (Ron) Tomlin conducted by Claytee D. White on December 20, 2022 for the Boyer Early Las Vegas Oral History Project. In this interview, Tomlin recalls growing up as a child with his mother, Dorothy Dalton Tomlin, who started the Dotty Dee Dancers in 1952. Ron recalls spending much of his childhood with his grandmother while his mother toured the country with the Dotty Dee Dancers. In 1955, his father, Donald Sherwood Tomlin, opened a clothing store, Scottie's Clothing Store, in the Moulin Rouge shopping strip on the Westside of Las Vegas, where he sold the latest fashion trends to Black men. Ron traveled across the country with his parents after high school, helped them run a small resort on the Russian River called the Bohemian Grove, and then began his photography career. Throughout his career as a photographer, he has photographed Mike Tyson, Naomi Campbell, and Elvis. Tomlin also talks about having a passion for dancing, like his mother.
- Subjects: Tomlin, Dorothy, 1922-2014; Oral histories (document genres); Photography; Entertainment