This fall, the UNLV Oral History Research Center will celebrate 20 years of collecting the voices of the people of Las Vegas and Southern Nevada. The OHRC is home to more than 4,000 oral histories from the individuals who have made their homes in our region, and under Founding Director Claytee White, this work to diversify our historical record continues.
In honor of this milestone, the University Libraries are launching a fundraising campaign to enhance our endowment supporting the important work of the Oral History Research Center in perpetuity. Throughout the coming months, you will hear more about events, an exhibit, stories, and more celebrating the 20th anniversary, as well as opportunities to invest in the future of the OHRC as we work hard to preserve the incredible history of Las Vegas.
A gift to the Oral History Research Center will help sustain this important work for the next 20 years. Your donation will directly impact OHRC efforts to:
- Train students on how to conduct oral histories
- Maintain equipment needed to conduct future interviews
- Print and bind transcripts of oral history interviews
- Digitize oral histories for easy accessibility around the world
- Develop future community oral history projects within Las Vegas
Jon Cobain, UNLV's first graduate, will match any gifts, dollar-for-dollar, up to $50,000, donated before the end of June.