Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for April.
UNLV University Libraries Photographs of the Response to the 1 October Shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada, 2017-2019. PH-00433. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Explore the complete Photographs of the Response to the 1 October Shooting finding aid.
- UNLV University Libraries Photographs of the Response to the 1 October Shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada (2017-2019) are comprised of digital images captured to document the aftermath of the mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, Nevada. Following the October 1, 2017 killing of 58 people at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival on the Las Vegas Strip, the Las Vegas community responded in a variety of ways. This collection of photographs document the impromptu memorial created at the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign, the funeral of Officer Charleston Hartfield, and different ways the community and organizations have remembered the tragedy since 2017. The collection also documents the Las Vegas Community Healing Garden at 1015 S. Casino Center Boulevard, envisioned by activists and built by volunteers, to honor the victims and give family members and the community a place to gather to remember.
- Subjects: Route 91 Harvest (Music festival); digital photographs; Memorials -- United States; Mass shootings; Las Vegas Shooting, Las Vegas, Nev., 2017; Las Vegas Strip (Nev.)
Las Vegas Fiber Arts Guild oral history project interviews, 2020-2023. OH-03424. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Las Vegas Fiber Arts oral history project finding aid.
- The Las Vegas Fiber Arts (LVFA) Guild oral history project interviews (2020-2023) consist of interviews conducted by the LVFA Guild of their membership. The interviews cover a wide range of topics, and members discuss their individual history of weaving and the fiber arts, preferred methods, and different types of fibers. Interviewees also discuss mentors within the craft, their level of involvement with the guild, and the different events that the LVFA Guild organizes in Las Vegas, Nevada. Digital audio and transcripts available.
- Subjects: Oral histories (document genres); Textile crafts; Fiberwork
Jim Laurie Photographs of the MGM Grand and Las Vegas Hilton Fires, 1980-1981. PH-00450. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Jim Laurie Photographs finding aid.
- The Jim Laurie Photographs of the MGM Grand and Las Vegas Hilton Fires (1980-1981) is comprised of six digitized photographs depicting the fire at the MGM Grand Hotel on Friday, November 21, 1980 and one image from the fire at the Las Vegas Hilton on February 11, 1981. Photographs were taken by Jim P. Laurie on the day of the fires at the MGM Grand and Las Vegas Hilton. Jim P. Laurie is a photographer who used to work for the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
- Subjects: MGM Grand Hotel (1973-1986); Las Vegas Hilton (Hotel); Fire; photographs; digital photographs