Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for March.
Ron Lewis Papers, approximately 1937-2021. MS-01142. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Ron Lewis papers finding aid.
- The Ron Lewis Papers (approximately 1937-2021) contain photographs, newspaper clippings, and correspondence documenting the life and career of dancer and choreographer Ron Lewis. Materials in this collection represent shows Lewis choreographed in Las Vegas, Nevada, the United States, and internationally including Bare Touch, Casino de Paris, The Act, and Vive les Girls. Materials also include photographs of Lewis with Liza Minnelli and promotional materials, press clippings, and interviews for Liza at the Palace, which was directed and choreographed by Lewis.
- Subjects: Choreographers; photographs; Entertainment -- Nevada -- Las Vegas
Harry Reid oral history interviews, 2017 July 28, 2017 December 01, 2019 August 08, and 2019 September 12. OH-03211. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Harry Reid oral history interview.
- Oral history interviews with Harry Reid conducted by Claytee D. White on July 28, 2017, December 1, 2017, August 8, 2019, and September 12, 2019 for the Boyer Early Las Vegas Oral History Project. In the first interview, Senator Harry Reid talks about his experiences as chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission from 1977 to 1981. He discusses casino decisions related to the Stardust Resort and Casino, the Fremont Hotel, the Aladdin Hotel and Casino, and the Hacienda Resort Hotel and Casino as well as the FBI requesting wiretaps and the Nevada Gaming Commission issuing gaming licenses at that time. In the second interview, Reid shares details as city attorney in Henderson, Nevada, his work with the University Medical Center Hospital Board, and case details as an attorney with the firm of Singleton, DeLanoy, and Jemison. Some of the cases he describes include litigation against Safeway stores, charges of drugs and murder, and evictions. In the third interview, Reid discusses his term serving the United States House of Representatives and his role as Senate Majority Leader. He recalls his election to Nevada Assembly in 1968, his tenure as Lieutenant Governor of Nevada from 1971 to 1975, his position as chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission from 1977 to 1981, and his position as Nevada's delegate in the United States House of Representatives from 1983 to 1987. Reid also talks about his political defeats when running for United States Senate and for Mayor of Las Vegas. In the fourth interview, Reid talks about various significant sites in Nevada including Searchlight, Yucca Mountain, and the Nevada Test Site.
- Subjects: Nevada Gaming Commission; Nevada. Legislative Assembly; Oral histories (document genres); Las Vegas (Nev.); Nevada Test Site
Maryann Picchi Collection on Las Vegas Entertainment, approximately 1965-2009. MS-01141. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Maryann Picchi Collection finding aid.
- The Maryann Picchi Collection on Las Vegas Showgirls and Entertainment (approximately 1965-2009) contains newspapers clippings and programs for different shows on the Las Vegas Strip that featured showgirls from the 1970s to the 1990s. Shows represented in this collection includes Casino de Paris, Folies Bergère, and Jubilee!. Materials include programs for Stardust Resort and Casino cast and crew member reunions. Materials were donated by Maryann Picchi who used to perform as a showgirl for the Stardust.
- Subjects: Folies-Bergère; Entertainment; Jubilee!; Casino de Paris (Las Vegas, Nev.) – History; Showgirls