Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for October.
Jon E. Cobain Papers, 1963-2009. MS-01105. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Jon E. Cobain Papers finding aid.
- The Jon E. Cobain Papers (1963-2009) contains material representing Cobain's experience as the first official graduate of Nevada Southern University (later University of Nevada, Las Vegas) in 1964. Materials include photographs of Cobain and his family, a scrapbook from his 1964 graduation day, newsletters, a copy of Beau's Bits Handbook, personal correspondence, and his diploma. This collection is composed exclusively of digital surrogates.
- Subjects: Nevada Southern University; University of Nevada, Las Vegas; black-and-white photographs; Commencement ceremonies
American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) Las Vegas Records, 1998-2022. MS-01107. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete American Institute of Graphic Arts finding aid.
- The American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) Las Vegas Records (1998-2022) contain materials related to AIGA Las Vegas Chapter including board meeting agendas and minutes, financial records, and annual reports. The majority of the collection consists of annual design competition materials (referred to as "Peep Shows" until 2003 when it changed to "Work Shows"), which include invitations, marketing material, and program books. Also contained in the collection are event posters, national design competition materials, and AIGA annual design books and journals. The majority of the collection focuses on AIGA Las Vegas events.
- Subjects: Art in education; Art and photography; graphic design; AIGA Las Vegas
Leo Dunbar oral history interview, June 16, 1986. OH-00498. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Leo Dunbar interview.
- Oral history interview with Leo Dunbar conducted by Dennis McBride on June 16, 1986 for the Boulder City Library Oral History Project. In this interview, Dunbar gives a brief history of the Bureau of Reclamation (Bureau of Land Management) and the beginning of his life-long career with that agency, first working on two major projects in Colorado. He then discusses how The Six Companies won their bid to build the Hoover Dam, the establishment of the federal reservation that would house Boulder City, and the growth and development of both the city and the dam project.
- Subjects: Oral histories (document genres; Hoover Dam (Ariz. and Nev.); Depressions -- 1929
Robin Leach Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous Audiovisual Collection, 1984-1999. MS-01102. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete Robin Leach Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous Audiovisual finding aid.
- The Robin Leach Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous Audiovisual Collection (1984-1999) is comprised of 19 boxes of VHS tapes that contain recordings of various television shows produced and hosted by Robin Leach. Primarily, they consist of episode tapings of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous (1984-1999), which showcased wealthy lifestyles and featured hundreds of notable guests, such as Princess Diana, Liberace, Donald Trump, Michael Jackson, and Audrey Hepburn. Additionally, there are tapes from Lifestyles' two spinoff shows, Runaway With the Rich and Famous (1991-1998) and Fame, Fortune, and Romance (1986-1987). Also included are tapes from the series Start of Something Big (1985-1986) and Gourmet Getaways (1997-1998), as well as a number of home videos, episode previews, and television specials.
- Subjects: Television programs; Celebrities; Las Vegas (Nev.)