Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for August.
Kenneth Giles Professional Papers, 1964-2001. MS-01111. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Kenneth Giles Professional Papers (1964-2001) contain documents and visual material related to Giles's time as an Environmental Radiation Monitor for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at the Nevada Test Site (NTS). Photographic slides, film, and digital images depict the general flora and fauna throughout the area surrounding the NTS (California, Utah, and Nevada). Visual materials also document specific mule deer and steer surveillance and testing at the EPA Farm located within the NTS. The collection also contains environmental reports written or collected by Giles, government documents, pamphlets, and newspaper clippings related to environmental monitoring and Giles's work at NTS. A small portion of the collection documents his brief role providing monitoring support at Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania in 1979.
- Subjects: United States. Environmental Protection Agency; color slides; Photographs; Nevada National Security Site (Nev.); Environmental monitoring; Wildlife monitoring
Vadeem Volansky, Anastasia Popovich, and Amdrei Skoro oral history interview oral history interview, approximately 2008. OH-02755. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- Oral history interview with Vadeem Volansky, Anastasia Popovich, and Amdrei Skoro conducted by Jan Biggerstaff in approximately 2008 for the Let;s Runaway and Join the Circus Oral History Project. In this interview, Volansky reflects upon his upbringing in Ukraine, his entrance into circus college, and his competitions before moving to Las Vegas, Nevada to perform in shows such as Mystere. Popovich discusses her upbringing in Las Vegas, Nevada, while her father worked in a show at the Circus Circus. She reflects upon having the show animals at home, how she trained for the circus, and eventually worked in the theater at the Aladdin, later Planet Hollywood. Skoro discusses his upbringing in Chelyabinsk, Russia, military operations before the city name was changed to Ozersk, and his entrance into circus school. Digital transcript available; no audio recording.
- Subjects: Oral histories (document genres); Acrobats; Las Vegas (Nev.)
Dennis McBride Collection on Las Vegas, Nevada LGBTQ Organizations, approximately 1984-2008. MS-01114. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Dennis McBride Collection on Las Vegas, Nevada LGBTQ Organizations (approximately 1984-2008) contains photographs, magazines, and documents relating to various LGBTQ organizations and events in Las Vegas, Nevada. Photographs of prominent community members, including Strutt Hurley, William "Bill" Schafer, Rob Schlegel, and Dennis McBride attending events such as National Coming Out Day and pageants organized by the Southern Nevada Association of Pride, Inc. (SNAPI). Also included in the collection are magazines, newspaper clippings, and documents relating to various issues such as Nevada's "Question 2", a ballot measure that prevented same-sex marriages from being conducted or recognized in Nevada; offical reports on the AIDS epidemic; and student organizations like Students for an Equal America (SEA) and Human Understanding Despite Differences Lifts Everyone (HUDDLE).
- Subjects: Equal Rights Nevada; Southern Nevada Association of Pride, Inc. (SNAPI); Gay pride celebrations; Gay community; Photographs