Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for September.
Las Vegas Land & Water Company Records from the Las Vegas Valley Water District, 1918-1989. MS-00912. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Las Vegas Land & Water Company Records from the Las Vegas Valley Water District (1918-1989) are primarily comprised of contracts, correspondence, and maps that document the establishment of a water distribution system in Las Vegas, Nevada that would provide water using the state's Colorado River allocation. The records include water main extension agreements, correspondence, and bills of sale for water main construction, as well as articles and correspondence documenting the groundwater shortage in Las Vegas. The collection also includes maps for water distribution systems and pipelines throughout the Las Vegas Valley.
- Subjects: Water resources development -- Nevada; Water rights; Las Vegas Valley (Nev.); Union Pacific Railroad Company; San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad Company
Gene Hertzog Professional Papers, approximately 1930-2014. MS-01015. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Gene Hertzog Professional Papers (approximately 1930-2014) are comprised of photographs, slides, transparencies, publications, video cassettes, correspondence, and digital files spanning Gene Hertzog's working years with the United States Army, the Bureau of Reclamation, and as a freelance photographer and videographer based in Southern Nevada. The collection documents the complicated infrastructure required to supply water to the Las Vegas Valley and includes still and moving images of the Springs Preserve, Lake Mead National Recreation Area, and the Colorado River. The majority of the collection comes from Hertzog's time as a regional photographer for the Bureau of Reclamation and offers a unique glimpse into the Bureau's work in Southern Nevada and the southwest from the mid-1960s to the mid-1990s.
- Subjects: Water conservation; Water resources development -- Nevada; Lake Mead National Recreation Area (Ariz. and Nev.); United States. Bureau of Reclamation. Lower Colorado Region; Southern Nevada Water Authority; photographs
Laurents Bañuelos-Benitez oral history interview, 2021 June 16. OH-03783. Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Oral history interview with Laurents Bañuelos-Benitez conducted by Rodrigo Vazquez and Barbara Tabach on June 16, 2021 for the Latinx Voices of Southern Nevada Oral History Project. Laurents is a Las Vegas native, graduate of Clark High School, and son of Mexican and Salvadoran immigrants. He is currently an English teacher at Rancho High School and was a former student worker on the Latinx Voices project.
- Subjects: Oral histories (document genres); Latinxs; Spanish language; East Las Vegas (Nev.); Emigration and immigration; Education; Latinx Voices of Southern Nevada Oral History Project