A list of over 800 Nevada newspapers available on microfilm including every mining camp and city in the state.
HINT: A good way to start browsing may be to go to the Nevada Newspapers by City list and find the city you are interested in. Under each city the newspapers are listed chronologically by date so that it is easy to access the newspaper for the time period appropriate for your research.
What information you will find in this database
All bolded headings in the database are titles. When the title changes for more than 6 months, the title will be listed under its masthead title (paper's actual name on page one), and it will be located appropriately in the collection.
Data ranges the library owns
The Library has field indicates the Libraries' holdings for the specific title. If the dates are separated by commas (i.e. 1928, 1935, 1942), it indicates only those dates; and if hyphenated (i.e. 1928 - 1942) it indicates through dates listed. If the entry states 1981- date, it indicates that this newspaper is a current microfilm subscription.
Additional information field
The field below Library has is an additional information field. This field includes missing (Msg.) dates from the collection only if three consecutive months are missing. This field can contain box title information. Box title refers to the title the entry is filed under in the collection. If no dates appear after box title, the entire holdings are filed under the box title in the collection. When dates follow the box title, only those specific dates can be found under that title in the collection. Included in this field is anything unusual that may be of interest pertaining to the paper's content.
Location of microforms in the library
Newspapers on microfilm are located on the second floor between the Graduate Commons and the tutoring area in white tagged cabinets. Nevada newspapers are arranged alphabetically by title under the generic call number of AN2 .A1.
Additional historical newspapers in the library
The Special Collections Department has various paper issues of Nevada Newspapers. View the list of newspapers in Special Collections.
Bibliography of Nevada Newspapers
The book The Newspapers of Nevada : A History and Bibliography 1854 - 1979 by Richard Lingenfelter and Karen Rix Gash may provide useful historical background information. There is a copy in the Special Collections Department under call number Z6952.N49 L56 1984.
Available Nevada newspaper indexes and digitized copies
In addition to searching for newspapers on microform, here is a list of other newspaper indexes and digitized newspapers.
Las Vegas Newspapers
- 3/30/1929 - 12/31/1996. Searchable page images for the Las Vegas Review Journal in Access Nevada.
- 9/29/1996 - present. Full-text articles (no images) for the Las Vegas Review Journal in Access Nevada.
- 12/2/1990 - 12/31/2012. Full-text articles for the Las Vegas Review Journal in ProQuest US Newsstream.
- 1996 - present. Full-text articles for the Las Vegas Sun, 2/19/96 -current in Access Nevada. Also includes scattered issues from 1973-1995 and a single issue from 1957.
- 1983 - 1990 Citations only microfiche index available at UNLV Library to Las Vegas Review Journal and Las Vegas Sun.
- 1972 - 1982 Citations only to Las Vegas Review Journal and Las Vegas Sun available in NNI Nevada Newspaper Index on UNLV Library microfilm scanning computers. Instructions on how to use.
- 1965 - 1977 Full-text articles for the Las Vegas Sun are available online via Las Vegas-Clark County Library's subscription to NewspaperArchive.com - you must have an LVCCLD card or visit a branch for online access.
- 1930 - 8/1968 Las Vegas Review Journal index (citations only) available on index cards at the Cahlan Research Library inside the Nevada Historical Society and Museum, which is located in Springs Preserve.
- 1905 - 1940 Las Vegas Age index (citations only) available on index cards, also at the Cahlan Research Library.
- 1905-1947. Page images for the Las Vegas Age.
- 4/7/1905-1915, 1917-1922, 1924 Full-text articles for the Las Vegas Age.
- 1905-1905. Page images for the Las Vegas Times.
There are no indexes available for 9/1968 - 1971 for the Las Vegas Review Journal and no indexes for the Las Vegas Sun for 1950-1971. The Review Journal index can be used to cross-reference Las Vegas Sun articles for 1950 - 8/1968.
Other Nevada Newspapers
- Nevada Newspaper Indexes (PDF) (various indexes available throughout the state).
- 1991 - 1996 Citations to various Nevada newspapers (available on UNLV Library computers and on microfiche).
- Jan. 1990 - Dec. 1990 Nevada Appeal citations only microfiche index available at UNLV Library.
- Aug 1893 - June 6, 1922 Nevada State Journal available through America's Historical Newspapers.
- July 1885 - Feb. 19, 1887 Elko Daily Independent available through America's Historical Newspapers.
- 1870 - 1904 Pioche Weekly index (citations only) available on index cards at the Cahlan Research Library inside the Nevada Historical Society and Museum, which is located in Springs Preserve.
- June 16, 1869 - Sept. 21, 1869 Inland Empire available through America's Historical Newspapers.
- June 15, 1869 White Pines News available through America's Historical Newspapers.
- March 23, 1865 Humboldt Register available through America's Historical Newspapers.
- Aug 1864 Reese River Reveille available through America's Historical Newspapers.
- Carson Appeal Newspaper Index, 1865/66, 1879/80, 1881, 1885/86
- Nevada Appeal
Instructions on how to use the Las Vegas Review Journal and Las Vegas Sun Index database (1972 - 1982).
- Note: this database is only accessible from within the library. It is loaded on the microfilm computer stations.
This index will also give citations to articles for 1991 - 1996.
- From the desktop, find the NNI Nevada Newspaper Index icon.
- Select Newspaper below Databases at the top left side of the screen.
- Go to View on the toolbar and select tree and profile.
- De-select viewer. Select the binoculars from the toolbar.
- Go to Settings and make sure rank search results is check marked, word setting is set to exact and Boolean operator to use between fields is set to "and".
- Then select Documents Contents and type in search terms. You are searching a list of index terms, so personal names or topics are good choices.
- Press the search button at the bottom of the screen. When an entry is highlighted, the full citation will display at the bottom of the page.
- The index entry will display the title of the article, subject, title of the newspaper, date, section (if applicable), and page.
- Please write down information needed as opposed to printing. This database prints only one citation per sheet of paper and the print is extremely small.
|+Las Vegas Sun||1972 - 1982; 1991 - 96||Las Vegas|
|+Las Vegas Review Journal*||1972 - 1982; 1991 - 96||Las Vegas|
|Boulder City News||1991 - 1996||Boulder City|
|Henderson Home News||1991 - 1996||Henderson|
|Reno Gazette Journal||1991 - 1996||Reno|
|Daily Sparks Tribune||1991 - 1996||Sparks|
|Nevada Appeal||1991 - 1996||Carson City|
|Elko Daily Free Press||1991 - 1996||Elko|
|Elko Daily Times||1991 - 1996||Elko|
|Fernley Leader - Dayton Courier||1991 - 1996||Fernley|
|Humboldt Sun||1991 - 1996||Winnemucca|
|Mason Valley News||1991 - 1996||Yerington|
|Lovelock Review Miner||1991 - 1996||Lovelock|
|Lincoln County Record||1991 - 1996||Pioche|
|Mineral County Independent - News||1991 - 1996||Hawthorne|
|Record Courier||1991 - 1996||Gardnerville|
|Lahontan Valley News / Fallon Eagle Standard||1991 - 1996||Fallon|
|Los Angeles Times (various articles about Nevada)||1991 - 1996|
+Note: for Las Vegas Review Journal and Las Vegas Sun for 1983 - 1990, use microfiche index located at the Research & Information counter
*features only the combined weekend editions of the Las Vegas Review Journal for 1991 - 1996.
View a list of U.S. newspapers available on microfilm.
- Primarily contains U.S. west with some national, colonial, and specialty newspapers
View a list of international newspapers available on microfilm.
- Microforms grouped by country listing date ranges owned by the library