The UNLV University Libraries sponsors a variety of initiatives and services focused on the local P12 community. These center primarily on the professional development of teachers and school librarians and include:
- Access to research materials and curriculum resources.*
- Use of University Libraries facilities including the TDRL Teacher Preparation Lab.
- Individual and group research consultations.
- Guest Speakers/Lecture series (e.g., children’s and young adult literature authors).
- Literacy development workshops in partnership with the Gayle A. Zeiter Literacy Development Center.
- Professional development workshops.
- Planned class field trips to the UNLV University Libraries.
Comprehensive P12 outreach opportunities/initiatives have included:
- Co-hosting the Gayle A. Zeiter Children’s and Young Adult Literature Conference.
- Co-hosting the Summit on the Research and Teaching of Young Adult Literature.
In addition to the aforementioned outreach opportunities/initiatives, the University Libraries also held the Teacher-Librarian Institute for Integration of Research into the P12 Curriculum, which brought in teams of teachers and school librarians to design research assignments for P12 students with the goal of improving the research skills of future UNLV students.
Moreover, the UNLV University Libraries has a branch library devoted to the development of Southern Nevada P12 educators. Located within the Carlson Education Building (CEB), the Teacher Development & Resources Library (TDRL) supports the teacher education programs within the UNLV College of Education as well as P12 educators in the Las Vegas community. With more than 30,000 items across a wide range of collections (including children’s and young adult literature, professional materials for educators, graphic novels, P12 textbooks, and activity kits), the TDRL is a leading resource center for Southern Nevada’s education community. Students and Southern Nevada educators can engage with TDRL staff members to find solutions to their teaching/educational needs and take advantage of the variety of resources, services, and expertise the TDRL offers.