Collection Size: 350+ volumes
Early Readers are also known as beginning readers, easy readers, transitional books or independent readers. Early Readers are for children who are beginning to read on their own or who’s reading skills are not advanced enough for juvenile fiction titles. These items differ from picture books in a variety of ways:
- Pictures on each page or every other page which visually show what’s happening in the text in order to help with text interpretation.
- Limited vocabulary and sentence structure appropriate to ready level.
- Text is in traditional block format.
- Large fonts.
- A few sentences on each page based on reading level.
- Often includes multiple, short chapters
Early Readers are included in the TDRL collection for educational reasons, and titles range across all available reading levels of early readers (not just the youngest readers). A wide variety of topics and genres are collected in order to have titles that appeal to all young readers. Any titles published in the early reader format, regardless of fiction or nonfiction, are included in the Early Readers collection.