The Libraries sponsors a variety of initiatives and services focused on the local school community. We welcome the opportunity to collaborate with high school teachers and librarians to prepare local students for academic research.
Please read the following policy statement before filling in a visit request form.
The primary function of the UNLV Libraries is to support the research and academic growth of university students, faculty, and staff. In an effort to build and maintain ties with the local education community, however, library personnel from University Libraries have worked with students to develop their research skills and teach the advanced use of college level material where appropriate. As community partners, we invite assignment-driven visits to allow local high school students the opportunity to explore our vast resources. We will make every effort to accommodate requests for library visits, but it is important for local educators to understand these workshops must be scheduled during an available and approved time and must meet the following visit requirements.
If you have any further questions about our policies, procedures, and services for high school students, please contact Brittany Paloma Fiedler at email@example.com.
- Students must have a specific research assignment or topic for a corresponding course given at the school
- Assignment requirements and supporting material must be attached to request form.
- Library visits should be no more than two hours in length, with a maximum of three and half hours.
- Library staff can meet with students at UNLV, but not at local schools.
- Library instruction sessions may be arranged for students enrolled in grades 9-12.
- Maximum number of attending students is 60.
- Arrangements must be made a least one month prior to the visit.
- Cancellations must be made one week in advance, and may or may not be rescheduled.
- At least one adult must accompany each student group of 25. Adults who accompany groups are required to remain with their students.
- Requesting teacher/instructor must attend the library workshop.
- These sessions will be provided based on availability of our librarians, space, and resources. University requests will take priority over community requests.
- Due to the academic schedule, please consider requesting an instruction session or visit during November, December, early January, April, or early May as these are times when librarians are less busy with university instruction.
- Visits are subject to University Libraries personnel/resources availability. An effort will be made to accommodate requested dates, but visits may be denied or postponed if requested dates are during peak University Libraries instruction and outreach periods.
Due to staffing issues, we are not currently offering instruction for high school students. We anticipate being able to resume supporting assignment-driven library instruction sessions in Fall 2023. Please revisit this page then for updated information and to fill out a request form.
If you have any questions in the meantime about our policies, procedures, and services for high school students, please contact Brittany Paloma Fiedler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other UNLV campus opportunities for high school students such as a campus tour, please contact the Office of Early Outreach.