Future We Need To Talk Episodes Postponed Until February
In light of rising COVID-19 rates in Nevada and Gov. Steve Sisolak’s order to limit in-person gatherings, the remaining three episodes of the We Need To Talk: Discussions on Racism For A More Resilient Las Vegas series will be postponed. The series is tentatively scheduled to resume in February with conversations on education, health care, and next steps.
This virtual educational series will feature university and community experts discussing issues on race and seeking solutions for a more inclusive society.
Topics will include race-related media coverage, economics, health care, criminal justice, education, and how we move forward.
Host: Claytee White
Director, UNLV Oral History Research Center
Episode 1: Introduction (Sept. 17, 5:30 p.m.)
- A.B. Wilkinson, Associate Professor of History, UNLV
- Brenda Williams, President & Founder, Westside School Alumni Foundation
- Kevin Wright, Assistant Director for Student Diversity, UNLV
Episode 2: We Need To Talk About Criminal Justice (Oct. 1, 5:30 p.m.)
- Frank Rudy Cooper, Director for the Program on Race, Gender & Policing, UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law
- Greg McCurdy, Security Consultant and Retired Assistant Sheriff, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
- Tyler D. Parry, Assistant Professor of African American and African Diaspora Studies, UNLV
Episode 3: We Need To Talk About Communication (Oct. 14, 5:30 p.m.)
- Ricardo Torres-Cortez, Journalist at the Las Vegas Sun; UNLV Hank Greenspun School of Journalism Alumnus
- Ashton Ridley, KUNV-FM Radio Manager at the UNLV Hank Greenspun School of Journalism and Media Studies; UNLV Department of Communication Studies Alumnus
- Nissa Tzun, a UNLV School of Social Work and Journalism School graduate student and member of the Forced Trajectory project.
- Emma Frances Bloomfield, Assistant Professor, UNLV Department of Communication Studies; Co-Director of the UNLV Public Communication Initiative
Episode 4: We Need To Talk About Economics (Oct. 29, 5:30 p.m.)
- Nicholas Barr, Assistant Professor of Social Work, UNLV
- Alex Dixon, President, West Region Purestar
- Alvin Odom, Senior Manager – Diverse Markets, Charles Schwab Bank
- Shanta Patton, Western Regional Vice President, National Association of Real Estate Brokers
Live streaming provided by UNLV TV.
Future episode dates
Upcoming episode dates will be announced soon!
All panels will stream at 5:30 p.m.
This companion guide to the panel series, We Need To Talk, is hosted in collaboration with Special Collections & Archives and the Oral History Research Center.
Additional funding for this series provided by UNLV University Libraries Advisory Board Members Sara Mason & Geri Tomich.
If you would like make a donation to support We Need To Talk or our other diversity, equity, and inclusion programs, consider making a gift to the University Libraries.