This temporary student assistant position is scheduled between 10 and 15 hours per week on the following days – i.e., Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Scheduled shifts are dependent on student assistant’s availability and the operational priorities and needs of the division and/or department.
The School of Medicine Library Student Assistant provides assistance with circulation services and support for daily operations at two interim locations - 2040 W. Charleston and 1001 Shadow Lane. This work includes support for a variety of library operations and informational assistance to faculty, residents, fellows, staff, researchers and members of the health sciences community.
- Opens and closes the library, as needed
- Provides comprehensive circulation services to library users, including checking materials in and out of the library and updating user records
- Answers basic directional questions at the service desk
- Provides basic technical assistance to users (public computers and printing/copying)
- Explains and enforces the library’s policies; screens and/or handles complaints, and refers more complex issues as appropriate
- Assists with the processing of reserves, as needed
- Serves as backup for service desk coverage at our other service points or locations, including the second interim library space, Information Commons - located at 1001 Shadow Lane
- Performs other duties and/or projects as assigned
Sitting at a computer screen, physically lifting and moving materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
* Customer service skills and high energy level
* Strong attention to detail and ability to follow directions
* Performs independently and able to remain flexible when changes are needed
* Effective communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
* Experience working in a library environment preferred
* May be required to travel between library locations to deliver and/or retrieve materials