This temporary student assistant position is scheduled between 10 and 15 hours per week Sunday through Saturday. Scheduled shifts are dependent on student assistant’s availability and the operational priorities and needs of the division and/or department. You may be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
Student assistants perform the vital roles of supporting our students at the circulation service desk with checking out materials and locating resources as well as maintaining the integrity of the Lied Library stacks and assisting students with material retrieval.
- Student assistants perform as the primary contact point between patrons and the library at the circulation service desk. They are expected to provide friendly, prompt customer service while performing all basic functions of library service or any other task as assigned by a supervisor.
- Student assistants are responsible for shelving materials that have been returned to the library, pulling requested materials from high density storage (LASR), and maintaining the appearance/organization of the Lied Library stacks.
- Check out, check in, and renew circulating library materials on the automated system at the
circulation service desk
- Cash handling/credit card payments for fines and fees
- Issue library cards & update borrower records
- Answer basic informational or directional questions by phone and in-person
- Refer questions to a Lied Library staff member or librarian when appropriate
- Communicate library and circulation policies
- Record usage statistics
- Open and closing duties as scheduled
- Report maintenance or security problems to staff
- Assist with building evacuations and other emergencies
- Retrieve, shelve, and shift library materials
- Retrieve items from the LASR system
- Patron education and assistance
- Conduct in-house use counts for unshelved materials
- Coordinate with other departments and libraries for deliveries
- Shelf read/inventory assigned sections to ensure correct shelving order
- Search the collection for library materials that may be missing, claimed returned, etc.
- Straighten/clean the shelves, update aisle markers, and replace bookends
- Attend training sessions as required
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Sitting or standing at a computer screen; physically lifting and moving materials weighing up to 50lbs.; pushing and pulling book trucks weighing up to 100lbs.; kneeling, bending and stretching; and exposure to dust. Capable of reading labels for shelving and shelf reading.
- Customer service skills and high energy level
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow directions
- Performs independently and able to remain flexible when changes are needed
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to push and pull book trucks weighing up to 100lbs
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft or Google suite software and internet searching
- Experience working in a library environment preferred