This temporary student assistant position is scheduled between 10 and 19 hours per week. Scheduled shifts are dependent on student assistant’s availability and the operational priorities and needs of the division and/or department.
The Scholarly Communication Student Assistant provides accurate and efficient data entry into a variety of document and program types in Windows and Google environments to support the Scholarly Communication Initiatives department.
- Demonstrate interest in learning new software
- Follow set written procedures and conventions
- Provide metadata entry and data clean-up
- Organize digital files per instructions and workflows
- Perform effective keyword and title searches in search engines and library databases
- Navigate multiple window tabs to transfer data via copy/paste method
- Upload & download files
- Work effectively in Windows and Google environments including using Excel, Word, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Gmail
- Assist with miscellaneous projects as needed
Working independently at a computer for 90% of the shift. Rarely, may need to physically lift and move materials weighing up to 50 lbs., maneuver book trucks weighing up to 100 lbs., bend and stretch, with potential exposure to dust.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow directions
- Performs independently and able to remain flexible when changes are needed
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Customer service skills
- Reliable, punctual, task oriented, and deadline driven
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs (rarely)
- Ability to push and pull fully loaded book trucks weighing up to 100lbs (rarely)
- Experience with Excel and Google Sheets preferred
- Experience working in a library or clerical environment preferred