About the Represent pilot program
Represent is a pilot program to add content to the Libraries’ collections that reflects the diversity of UNLV and represents the cultures, histories, and lived experiences of the UNLV Community. Represent is a community selected collection. All content added will come from suggestions from the UNLV community.
In developing this collection the Libraries goals are to :
- Support UNLV's core values of equity and inclusion
- Aid in a sense of belonging for those who study, work, and visit UNLV
- Enable additional selector perspectives into the Libraries’ collecting workflows that will help redress the white euro-centric views that are dominant in the academic literature and thus in the Libraries' general collections
How can I participate?
Represent is a collection selected by the UNLV community, so all members of the community are encouraged to submit suggestions.
Suggestions accepted from February 27 - March 31, 2023.
What content can I suggest?
There are no specific guidelines about what content can be suggested; the only guideline is content that reflects our UNLV community. Content can be academic or popular in nature and could include novels, children's books, biographies, cook books, poetry, movies, music, documentaries. These are just examples and aren't meant to be exhaustive or limit what you recommend to be added.
The Libraries will aim to purchase all suggested content but does reserve the final decision making on what will be purchased informed by the following:
- Availability of the suggested content. The Libraries will search multiple vendors including out of print vendors but there may be occasions when there is no source for purchase.
- Cost. If the content is cost-prohibitive and/or the fund is exhausted. We recommend that you submit suggestions for content regardless of its cost. Funding availability may change and we do not want to set specific price ranges for what can be purchased.
- Alignment with the goals of the program as described above and the vision, mission, and values of UNLV.
The Represent pilot is supported by the Dean’s Library Circle funding and other general collection endowment funds.
Accessing the collection
Once the Libraries has acquired the content suggested by March 31, 2023 we will share with the UNLV Community through publicity and outreach, what was purchased and how you can access it either physically in Lied Library or online via our electronic library. So stay tuned for more information on the Represent collection.
Note: When you submit your content suggestion you can indicate if you want the item purchased in online or print format and if available we will purchase the format you requested. You can also let us know if you want to be notified when the content has been purchased and is available.