This temporary student assistant position and can be scheduled between 15 and 20 hours per week, 7 days a week. Scheduled shifts are dependent on student assistant’s availability and the operational priorities/needs of the department. You may be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
The Safety Student Assistant provides prompt, courteous customer service while performing front-line loss prevention and basic safety services to library users and staff.
- Proactive loss prevention
- Advanced customer service for patrons and staff
- Patron education and assistance
- Communicating with UNLV Police Services and other emergency services personal
- Assist with building evacuations and other emergency situations
- Assist with event activities
- Provide access control services for staff members on a as needed basis
- Assist with shipping and receiving operations
- Assist in opening and closing the library if working during either shift
- Attend unit, departmental and library meetings as required
- Attend training sessions as required
Mostly indoors, physically lifting and moving materials weighing up to 40 lbs, bending and stretching, exposure to dust, climbing stairs, dealing with difficult situations and patrons.
* Customer service skills and high energy level
* Ability to lift up to 40lbs
* Strong attention to detail and ability to follow directions
* Performs independently and able to remain flexible when changes are needed
* Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational skills and emotional maturity
* Able to be on your feet for four hours at a time
* Experience with first aid, lifeguard skills, retail loss prevention, public speaking/communication skills
* De-escalation skills