The eligibility criteria for the UNLV Open Article Fund have been expanded to include additional UNLV researchers. The fund now supports:
- Tenured and tenure-track faculty
- Research faculty (UNLV Bylaws 18.3.4)
- Instructors (UNLV Bylaws 16.3)
Criteria relating to journals, article status, award frequency, and maximum award ($1,500) are available on the Open Access Guide.
The UNLV Open Article Fund was established in 2018 to support UNLV researchers that wish to make their scholarly articles available to a global audience in high-quality open access journals. Publishing open access may result in more citations to articles and help authors reach a broader audience. By providing support for open access, we extend an opportunity for increased readership to authors who do not have a research grant or other funds to pay an article processing charge (APC).
For researchers not eligible for the award or who are not ready to publish in a fully open access journal, the University Libraries supports open access in a number of other ways, including:
- Several “read and publish” agreements with selected publishers in hybrid (open access optional) journals
- Supporting journals operating under a “subscribe to open” model
- Digital Scholarship@UNLV, UNLV’s institutional repository
- Consultations and workshops on open access publishing and more
- A separate APC fund supporting hybrid and fully open journals through the School of Medicine Library available to faculty, residents, and fellows at the Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine
For questions about the UNLV Open Article Fund, contact Andrea Wirth.