The Libraries promote a welcoming environment that is conducive to study, research, and learning.
The Libraries permit eating and the drinking of non-alcoholic beverages in most spaces, within these established guidelines. We ask patrons to act responsibly to protect the libraries’ equipment, furniture and collections:
- Use care when consuming food and drink and be considerate of others. Patrons consuming food items that create excessive messes, odors, and/or noise may be asked to relocate to the Book and Bean café or outside the library.
- Use spill-proof containers for drinks.
- Leave spaces clean for the next person. Place trash and recyclables in the appropriate containers, and wipe up any spills and crumbs.
- Please immediately report to Library staff any larger spills that may occur, so these can be cleaned quickly and avoid damage.
- Unattended food and/or beverages are subject to disposal by staff.
- Patrons may not cook or prepare food in the Libraries. Any items ordered for delivery must be picked up outside of the library building. An exception to both of these exists for library staff during sanctioned, scheduled or catered events.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted in Special Collections.
- Branch libraries may establish food and drink policies appropriate to their facilities, resources, and clientele -- check posted policies to ensure compliance.
Interpretation of these guidelines is at the discretion of Libraries’ faculty and staff. Anyone not following these guidelines will be asked to comply and anyone unwilling to comply will be asked to leave the library facility. This failure to comply with posted restrictions or staff instructions regarding the consumption of food and beverages constitutes a violation of the larger Libraries’ Code of User and Visitor Conduct.
Thank you for helping us keep your library clean and inviting for all.