The UNLV Music Library houses a small reference collection, numerous scores, rare and unique special collections, and sound and video recordings. The collection consists of approximately 35,000 volumes, 15,500 sound recordings, and 3,000 video recordings.
- Please note that books about music are located in Lied Library on the 4th floor. They display in the Library Catalog with a location of "UNLV Book Stacks" and WILL NOT appear in catalog searches limited to "Music Library"!
Music Reference materials are located next to the public service desk. Materials include dictionaries, encyclopedias, thematic catalogs, discographies, and other similar materials to assist in finding basic music-related information, identify music in the circulating collection, and serve as a basis for further study and research. The Music Reference collection does not circulate. Additional reference materials can be found in Lied Library.
- Catalog Location: UNLV Music Ref
Scores are located in the main stacks area of the Music Library. Most of the score collection can be checked out per the normal circulation policy. The exceptions are scores with the call numbers of M2 and M3 (collected editions and historical sets), and items with a yellow "Does not circulate" label on the spine.
- Catalog Location: UNLV Music Bk Stks
Sound recordings and videos are located behind the service counter of the Music Library. Please ask staff for assistance and provide the call number. The collection consists primarily of CDs and DVDs.
- Catalog location: UNLV Music Media
Due to their size, oversize scores are located along the back wall at the end of the circulation collection.
- Catalog location: UNLV Music Osize
Special Collections contains rare and/or out-of-print items and facsimiles of manuscripts. You may use them in the Music Library.
- Catalog location: UNLV Music Special
Music Education Resources
In addition to having useful resources throughout the library's primary collection, the Music Library also has two cabinets with resources specific to Music Education. These include textbooks, classroom method books, method books for individual and classroom study, and scores.
Items from the Music Education Resource Cabinets may be used outside of the library but must be returned. These materials are the property of the Music Library and are to be shared by everyone. If you would like your own copy of something from these cabinets, please use the available scanner in the Music Library.
How To Find
Items in the MERC cabinets have call numbers similar to regular library items. Each type of material has its own 3 letter prefix that indicates the material type, followed by numbers that identify the specific title. Each letter prefix has its own drawer in the cabinets, which are labeled with the prefixes.
- CEB: Concert band scores
- MEB: Band method books
- MEI: Individual instrument method books
- MEJ: Jazz ensemble method books
- MEM: Children's choral music and children's musicals
- MEO: Orchestra method books
- MER: Other music education resources such as textbooks