University Libraries Expectations For User And Visitor Conduct
To ensure that all library users and visitors are able to use University Libraries' resources and services effectively, University Libraries requires full compliance with the rules and regulations listed below. Entering the library represents a tacit agreement to abide by these rules.
All portable items, e.g. backpacks, bags, briefcases, may be subject to inspection by library staff. Proper identification may be requested by any library staff member and must be presented upon request. Users or visitors whose conduct or activities violate the expectations below will be asked to modify their behavior or leave the library. Failure to comply with these rules and regulations may result in the loss of library privileges in addition to other legal consequences. The Libraries will pursue infractions or misconduct through campus disciplinary channels and/or law enforcement as appropriate.
- Theft, vandalism, or the deliberate misplacement of library materials/resources or patron personal property.
- Leaving personal belongings unattended or using personal belongings to reserve space/seating.
- Sleeping anywhere in the University Libraries.
- Consuming alcoholic beverages or illicit drug usage.
- Defacing, destroying, or corrupting any University Libraries’ information resources or property.
- Engaging in disruptive conduct and/or verbally abusing or threatening to do bodily harm to any library patron or staff member.
- Possessing firearms or other weapons/destructive materials.
- Engaging in any form of mental, physical, or sexual harassment and any sexual acts or public lewdness.
- Annoying, disturbing, or stalking any library patron or engaging in any other conduct which interferes with library usage.
- Conducting unauthorized organized meetings, events, food-based gatherings, or instructor-led sessions.
- Being in unauthorized areas of the Libraries, remaining in the libraries after closing or during emergency situations or drills.
- Tampering with emergency mechanisms (e.g. alarms, extinguishers, opening emergency exits in non-emergency situations).
- Having/using a bicycle in the library; using roller blades, scooters, skateboards or remote controlled vehicles/drones.
- Selling, soliciting, distributing or displaying any unapproved materials.
- Bringing animals into the library, unless they are certified service animals as defined by the ADA.
- Failing to comply with directions of University officials or law enforcement officers who have identified themselves as such.
- Smoking or using tobacco products in any form in accordance with the Nevada Clean Indoor Act, NRS 202.2483.
- Using Electronic Cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and Vaporizers with or without nicotine cartridges in accordance with UNLV policy.
- Using Libraries public areas/restrooms as a bathing/laundry facility or any heating/reheating of food or beverages.
- Keep conversations and behavior at a level that will not disturb others and is consistent with an academic environment.
- Observe all posted rules of library use, including, but not limited to, restrictions related to cell phone use, use of quiet/silent study areas, consumption of food and drink, and computer use.
- Use furniture, library equipment, and facilities in an appropriate manner and as designed; e.g. aisles and walk spaces are to remain freely passable at all times to ensure egress.
- Unattended items are subject to removal by Library staff. The University Libraries is not responsible for the loss or theft of personal property. Avoid theft by keep personal property with you at all times.
- A parent or guardian must supervise children under age 14.
- Unless otherwise posted, it is permissible to consume food and nonalcoholic beverages in the Libraries.
- Dispose of trash or recyclables in an appropriate receptacle.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
The UNLV University Libraries is committed to providing users with an environment that is safe, well maintained and conducive to study and research. Users and visitors are expected to engage in behavior that does not interfere with these efforts and that does not result in the improper use of Libraries' facilities.
Users and visitors are also expected to abide by all relevant university policies, state and federal laws, and those general principles that guide civil behavior and discourse in an academic environment.
Food & Drink Guidelines
The UNLV Libraries promote a welcoming environment that is conducive to study, research, and learning. The Libraries permit eating and the drinking of non-alcoholic beverages in most spaces, within these established guidelines. We ask patrons to act responsibly to protect the libraries’ equipment, furniture and collections:
- Use care when consuming food and drink and be considerate of others. Patrons consuming food items that create excessive messes, odors, and/or noise may be asked to relocate outside the library.
- Unattended food and/or beverages are subject to disposal by staff.
- Patrons may not cook or prepare food in the Libraries. Any items ordered for delivery must be picked up outside of the library space. An exception to both of these exists for library staff during sanctioned, scheduled or catered events.
- Use spill-proof containers for drinks.
- Leave spaces clean for the next person. Place trash and recyclables in the appropriate containers, and wipe up any spills and crumbs.
- Please immediately report to Library staff any larger spills that may occur, so these can be cleaned quickly and avoid damage.
Interpretation of these guidelines is at the discretion of Libraries’ faculty and staff. Anyone not following these guidelines will be asked to comply and anyone unwilling to comply will be asked to leave the library facility. Failure to comply with posted restrictions or staff instructions regarding the consumption of food and beverages constitutes a violation of the larger Libraries’ Code of User and Visitor Conduct.
Thank you for helping us keep your library clean and inviting for all.