Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for February.
Frederic Apcar oral history interview, 2003 July 19. OH-03302. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete interview.
- Oral history interview with Frederic Apcar conducted by Nancy Hardy on July 19, 2003 for the Las Vegas Oral History Project. In this interview, Apcar describes his birth and early life in Paris, France, his parents' divorce, working from a young age, and, at the age of sixteen learning to dance ballet and tap. He talks about his first dancing job at the Folies Bergere in Paris, going on tour for several years with Josephine Baker, and on his return to Paris, dancing with the Lido before signing a contract for a three-month job at the Copacabana in New York City, New York. He then discusses his move to Las Vegas, Nevada in 1959, where he produced the Las Vegas Les Folies Bergere, Vive les Girls with Ron Lewis, and Casino de Paris. He also talks about Donn Arden as the other major show producer on the Strip during this period.
- Subjects: Les Folies Bergere (Las Vegas, Nev.); Ballet dancers; Entertainment -- Nevada -- Las Vegas;Revues - France - Paris; Lido de Paris (Las Vegas); Casino de Paris (Las Vegas, Nev.)
Ronald Sharp Collection on MAD Building for Project Rover, approximately 1958-1963. MS-01138. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Ronald Sharp Collection on MAD Building for Project Rover (approximately 1958-1963) contains a brochure and photographs of the Maintenance, Assembly, and Disassembly (MAD) Building for Project Rover located at the Nuclear Rocket Development Station at the Nevada Test Site. The MAD building was one of the major centers for testing activities for Project Rover which was a United States project to develop a nuclear-thermal rocket. The materials also include photographs of an engine transporting a Kiwi nuclear rocket reactor from the MAD building to the test site and a mushroom nuclear cloud. Also included are photographs of Ronald Sharp and New Mexico artist Jose Sanchez, presumably at the MAD Building.
- Subjects: black-and-white photographs; Project Rover; Nevada National Security Site (Nev.)
Don Hannah Big Band Music Manuscripts, approximately 1950-1975. MS-00978. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Don Hannah Big Band Music Manuscripts (approximately 1950-1975) contains musical arrangements primarily tailored for popular musicians such as Paul Anka, Gladys Knight, Natalie Cole, Sergio Franchi, Guy Mitchell, Diahann Carroll, and Elvis Presley. Also included in the collection are a number of Don Hannah’s original compositions.
- Subjects: Big band music; Scores; Sheet music; Entertainment -- Nevada -- Las Vegas
Allard Roen oral history interview, 2003 October 31. OH-03288. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete interview.
- Oral history interview with Allard Roen conducted by David G. Schwartz on October 31, 2003 for the UNLV University Libraries Oral History Collection. In this interview, Roen talks about the history of the Desert Inn Hotel, the Desert Inn Country Club, and the Desert Inn Golf Course and Tournament of Champions. He shares numerous stories and anecdotes about Las Vegas, Nevada casino-hotel figures, including Cecil Simmons, Morris "Moe" Dalitz, Wilbur Clark, and Howard Hughes. He also talks about the formation of the Nevada Resort Association, property development, and negotiating with labor unions and construction companies, including his 1960 work with the NAACP's James McMillan to eliminate racial segregation at the Desert Inn and Stardust hotels.
- Subjects: Clark, Wilbur, 1908-1965; Nevada Resort Association; Desert Inn Country Club; Hughes, Howard, 1905-1976; Race discrimination; Labor union locals -- Nevada; Golf -- Tournaments