Good morning everyone,
As you may know, a small group of interested staff (aka the Going Mobile Interest Group) brought together by the WMC, has been planning for and doing initial testing of a mobile site for the Libraries. Thanks to a major effort by Brian Egan and support from other folks in WDS, a pilot site is now ready for broader testing by library staff. We invite all of you who have a smart phone to check it out at http://www.library.unlv.edu/m and send Brian any comments, suggestions, concerns that you have about the site.
A couple of additional points to know:
- not all content from the main web site is available from the mobile site - this is a deliberate decision and is in keeping with mobile sites since they are designed to be fast and efficient
- the OPAC is not yet fully optimized for mobile use but that functionality is under development
- the content that you see on the mobile site is simply "mobilized" content from the main site, so during your mobile travels, if you discover any content items that need attention please alert the content provider for that web page so that he or she can make needed adjustments
- if testing the site from your desktop it's best to use Firefox
- there is more info on the group and site development at http://staff/index.php/Going_Mobile_Interest_Group
Barring any major unexpected discoveries made during the staff tests, we plan to make an announcement to the general public early next week via an item in the Library News blog on the front page of our site. It will be made clear that the mobile site is under development and will say something along the lines of "Help us 'mobilize' - try out our new mobile site." Full scale promotion of the site will begin in the Fall.
Thanks in advance for your interest and involvement.
Co-Facilitator of the Going Mobile Interest Group
Kee Choi - Co Facilitator