Research Links: List of Databases, Course Reserves

Quick Search: Articles, newspapers, books and ebooks, videos and more. Results primarily available online but may also include books available in the library or articles that can be requested for email delivery from ILLiad.

Catalog: Books (including ebooks) and other items in UNLV Libraries. Does not search journal articles.

Library Information: Pages on library web site, for example research guides, library policies and procedures, hours and events.

Going Mobile Series: Part 2 - Information Architecture

By Brian Egan on September 18, 2009 1:14 PM | Permalink

Going Mobile Series

1. Part 1 – Time for a Mobile Website
  2. Part 2 -  Information Architecture
  3. Part 3 - Wireframes

The WMC project request has been submitted and confirmed! Because we’re working on about a million different things, the mobile website project won’t be a high priority item, but rather an ongoing project I tinker with when time allows. That shouldn’t stop us, though, because as I said in the first part of this series: It won’t take us an overwhelming amount of time to launch a decent mobile site!

To progress the project a bit further today, I’ve reviewed the content on our main website and extracted what I considered to be the most pertinent information for mobile sites into the following site map:

• Hours & Locations
    • Computer Use
    • User Conduct
    • Meeting Room
    • Bulletin Board
  • Contact Us
    • Ask a Librarian
      • Text a question via cell phone
      • Call the libraries
      • Ask a question via email
      • Contact a subject librarian
    • Librarians by Subject
    • Phone numbers and Emails (from contact.html)
    • Staff Directory (eventually)
  • News
  • Digital Collections

Help – Feedback needed!

At this point, I’d like to ask for general feedback. Are there items in the site map you think are missing that could be useful? Should I remove items or shorten the length of the site map? Is it hierarchical in a sensible manner?

Give me your thoughts! I’m going to begin working on the design mockups for the mobile site now that I have a rough idea of what will appear, but that doesn’t mean suggestions aren’t welcome. The next part of this series will demonstrate the mockups!

Comments

Submitted by myunkin on
First Impressions... Hours & Locations: We need decent locations pages on the main site as well - these haven't been updated in forever, and should include decent maps and directions. Services: There should be a Computer Use page here (as well as on the main site). Students looking for computer info on the Media usability test consistently ended up at the "Computer Use" policy page, which has no information of use to students, and is presented in a way that no one will read anyway. I'm not sure that User Conduct and Computer Use policies are useful enough to include here. Yes, they are important, but I can't imagine anyone sitting at home saying, "I wonder if it's okay if I put my feet up on the furniture in Lied Library." But I can easily imagine someone saying, "I'm meeting friends in Lied Library -- I wonder if we can order a pizza there." What about catalog searches and other research needs? We should offer the links, even if they're not part of the specific mobile vision right now.
Submitted by began on
@Michael Hours & Locations: Totally Agree. I actually have it on our list of "General Overhaul" pages which we need to redo. Services: Once again, I agree. We've mentioned creating that page a few times - not sure who should be responsible for getting it done though. Probably right about the research -- I just wasn't sure how far to go. I think it would be great to compile a list of databases that have mobile-friendly interfaces, but that would take a lot of time I didn't have. Which resource should we offer for research?
Submitted by began on
Interestingly, after reading Michael's comment and making the Wireframes I'm reconsidering the "Policies" section. I think it'd be nice to have food and drink and maybe bulletin board info, but the space requirements needed physically on the screen to accomodate these two minor bits of information didn't seem worth it.
Submitted by NobarTV Online (not verified) on
nonton siaran langsung pertandingan sepak bola online melalui live tv streaming di situs nonton bola online http://goo.gl/RNJteP di NobarTV.COM
Submitted by طراحی سایت (not verified) on
<p>very good</p> <p>thanks for this post</p> <p><a href="http://idea-novin.ir" title="طراحی سایت"><strong>طراحی سایت</strong></a></p> <p><a href="http://idea-novin.ir" title="طراحی سایت در بابل"><strong>طراحی سایت در بابل</strong></a> </p>
Submitted by طراحی سایت (not verified) on
hi have nice post thanks <a href="http://idea-novin.ir" title="طراحی سایت"><strong>طراحی سایت</strong></a>
Submitted by Shop Happy Mango (not verified) on
The most common organic cotton cloth diaper such and they are also quite affordable and can be disposable comparison. They usually come in a size range in size from preemies. They usually snaps, Velcro or other types available are additional. They cut and also the baby of gold and sewn to fit around the legs. http://www.shophappymango.com
Submitted by edi (not verified) on
Just thanx for an interesting and useful website. Good luck! <a href="https://www.good-fundraising-ideas.com/fundraising-ideas-for-kids/">fundraising ideas for kids</a>
Submitted by طراحی سایت (not verified) on
hi thank for this http://www.idea-novin.ir
Submitted by edi (not verified) on
[URL=https://www.good-fundraising-ideas.com/fundraising-ideas-for-kids/]GFI[/URL]
Submitted by tom (not verified) on

Pages