Hello Library All!
The Usability Committee is recommending a change in the design of the search box on the Libraries home page in order to improve user experience.
You may recall that usability testing of the Libraries redesigned (current) home page in 2012 showed that students did not use the dropdown menu next to the search box to limit their searches. Instead, they simply used the default search (Summon) whether or not that was appropriate. Using the data from these tests, John Murphy created several mockups of a potential new search tool.
In the Summer and Fall of 2013, graduate students and faculty were shown the current design -- where they repeated the behavior noted in previous usability testing -- and the new mockups. Feedback was gathered on the old and new designs, and a single mockup (with some adjustments) was chosen as the best search option to help users discover the materials they need.
So, we update to Drupal ckeditor module version 1.12 and there was a database update regarding the "Wrong path to plugins stored in database" that was fixed with this latest release. So, for this post I'm testing the drupal break plugin, as that seems to have changed. Insert break now... EDIT: inserted horizontal rule by accident the first time, DUH.
Blogs are now much more slideshowier!
test image upload... yes, it worked...
but now the inserted image is broken... It works again, hooray!!!
Kids are happy.
This is a test of the alias that is created for this node.
By popular demand, we have a (mostly) working version of the new Research page of the redesigned Libraries website for your viewing & commenting pleasure:
- This will only work from inside the Libraries.
- Images are among the last things that will be added. Most of what you'll see clicking around the site are just convenient placeholders.
Comments can be made right here on the blog or sent to your favorite WMC/WADS member.
The frequently asked questions page is now available for review.
http://beta.library.unlv.edu/get_help (preview URL accessible from the Library only)
Please take a look and bring your comments and questions to the FAQ meeting tomorrow (3pm Amargosa). Of course, you can post your comments here on this blog as well.
Disclaimer: This page is still in development so some of the bells and whistles are not working properly or have yet to be implemented. For example, the "no results" message does not display when there is no match in the search result.
- Subject Guides should go under "Tools"
- Put hours on the top, so you don't have to scroll to see them
- Is "Reserch Help" a link to tutorials? (A: Partially. It's a link to the FAQs, which include tutorials)
- Standardize language for journals & databases (use "A-Z list" for both)
- Add account log in to home page
- "Feedback" only appears on home page - should be on every page
- Do we need a Contact section on left side of screen when it's already in the footer?
- Add catalog link under Research Tools
- Add Serial Solutions journal title search to search bar
- 1 of 7
- next ›