Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for September.
Thomas L. Morgan Real Estate Development Records, 1971-1997. MS-01091. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Thomas L. Morgan Real Estate Development Records (1971-1997) document commercial and residential real estate development, primarily in Los Angeles, California and Las Vegas and Henderson, Nevada. Materials consist of Hughes Development/Summa Corporation projects including the Hughes Center and Playa Vista in Los Angeles, California, and Summerlin and the Hughes Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. There are also extensive records related to the financing and development of Green Valley Ranch and Lake Las Vegas, projects Morgan helped develop through his private company, Thomas Morgan & Associates. Also represented are a number of casino-related projects for the Sands, the Frontier, the Landmark, and the Westgate hotel-casinos.
- Subjects: Summa Corporation; Hughes, Howard, 1905-1976; Real estate development; Planned communities; Lake Las Vegas
Jon Cobain oral history interview, 2022 March 04. OH-03863. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete interview.
- Oral history interview with Jon Cobain conducted by Claytee D. White on March 4, 2022 for the Boyer Early Las Vegas Oral History Project. In this interview, Cobain describes his childhood growing up in Las Vegas, Nevada and living in a trailer while his father built the family's home. Cobain is the first graduate from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), as he walked across the stage first, thus becoming the first to receive a degree from UNLV. After graduating with a bachelor's degree in business, Cobain attended Northwestern for graduate school. He discusses time spent working in Venezuela, and the value of learning other cultures and building international relationships. At the time of the interview, Cobain is matching gifts to the Jon Cobain Lee Business School at UNLV up to $2.3 million to help first-generation scholars. Other subjects discussed include the Nevada Test Site, Frank Sinatra, and Hoover Dam.
- Subjects: University of Nevada, Las Vegas -- History; Oral histories (document genres); Hoover Dam (Ariz. and Nev.); Las Vegas (Nev.)
Blackstone Edge Studios Film of the Las Vegas Strip, 1974. MS-01103. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Blackstone Edge Studios Film of the Las Vegas Strip contains film footage of locations around Las Vegas, Nevada from 1974 produced by Blackstone Edge Studios. Footage was filmed by Philip Clayton-Thompson who is a co-owner, director, and producer for Blackstone Edge Studios. Footage captured in the film includes various locations along Las Vegas Boulevard and around the city.
- Subjects: Las Vegas Strip (Nev.); Las Vegas (Nev.); 16mm (photographic film size)