Research Links: List of Databases, Course Reserves

Quick Search: Articles, newspapers, books and ebooks, videos and more. Results primarily available online but may also include books available in the library or articles that can be requested for email delivery from ILLiad.
Books: Print and online books available from UNLV Libraries or by ILLiad request.
Articles: Articles from academic journals, magazines and newspapers.

Library Information: Pages on library web site, for example research guides, library policies and procedures, hours and events.

Reserves FAQ for Faculty & Instructors

Beginning August 2016, all Lied media reserves (DVDs, VHS etc.) will be processed and circulated from the main Lied Circulation Desk

Submitting Items to be Placed on Reserve

What is the procedure for putting something on reserve?
Bring the material you want placed on reserve to the library, along with a completed and signed copy of the reserves form (PDF). If the material is going on electronic reserve, bring a photocopy of the material. Remember that the branch libraries run their own physical reserves systems. If you wish to have something on reserve at the Architecture Studies Library, Music Library or Teacher Development & Resources Library it must be taken there; we do not route material back and forth.

Where are electronic reserves posted and how do my students access them?
All electronic reserves are hosted in WebCampus (Blackboard) within the specific course site.  The Libraries can post library owned or licensed content for you via Course Builder privileges in your WebCampus courses.  Or you can manage these resources yourself - directly via WebCampus.

Your students will access the posted materials by logging into WebCampus with their ACE account and password, and navigating to your course.  If the Libraries have posted our content on your behalf, these items will typically be in the left navigation of the site, under "Reserves" link.

I have a VHS/DVD to put on reserve. Is that handled the same way?
Yes, bring the items you want placed on reserve to the Circulation Desk, along with a completed and signed copy of the media reserves form (PDF). 

What is the turnaround time for electronic and paper reserves?
It usually takes less than 72 hours from the time the material is dropped off at the Circulation Desk. Processing time could be longer during peak times, such as the beginning of semesters.

Turnaround time at the branch libraries may vary. Ask when you drop off the material.

What else do I need to be aware of when submitting photocopies for scanning?

  • Handwritten items should be written in dark ink and should be legible.
  • Photocopies should be clean and of the highest possible quality, preferably without dark edges. The quality of the scan is only as good as the original photocopy!
  • Old photocopies that are torn and have dog-eared pages will be returned with a request for a cleaner copy; they jam up the sheet feeder.
  • Paper should be standard letter size. The scanner sheet feeder cannot handle anything that is not eight-and-a-half-by-eleven.
  • Articles should be short in order to download quickly. If the item is over 25 pages, consider only using a few pages of important material.
  • Page orientation should be consistent-either portrait or landscape.
  • Item should be black-and-white or grayscale; the scanner does not scan in color.

Are there any restrictions on what can be placed on reserve?
UNLV library operates reserve systems in order for instructors to get copies of assigned readings to students in their classes. The system is not to be used for any other purpose.

Materials not accepted for reserves include:

  • Any material that students are expected to purchase, such as coursepacks, especially coursepacks put together by campus Repographics
  • Student papers without written permission from the student granting permission to be placed on reserve
  • Entire books or journal issues will never be placed on E-reserve, although they may go on physical reserve

Why do I still have to bring in a photocopy for electronic reserves? Can't you just scan from the original?
The time it would take to locate documents and assemble them for scanning would extend the turnaround time for processing our request and would impact our ability to serve others. Also, the sheet feeder can only handle loose, letter-sized sheets, not bound books and journal issues.

What if I teach the same course again? Do I have to resubmit everything that was scanned?
Not always. The library does archive old courses and documents, so if your course was taught within the last three years, your old course page may still exist, along with all the documents you used. To have it reactivated or changed, submit a reserves form with copies of any new material.

How do I get more information about copyright?
See Copyright Questions for Reserves Materials

Who do I contact with questions about placing items on reserve?

Lied Library

Ryan Revis


Architecture Studies Library

Steven Baskin


Music Library

Michael Platte


Teacher Development & Resources Library

Debbi McCracken