The University Libraries endeavor to provide assistance and instruction, which lead users to independent research, regardless of their ability. The Assistive Technology Room is an enhanced computer space designed to provide specialized software and hardware resources to patrons with disabilities. It is not to be used as a general meeting or study space.
Although every effort will be made to assist users with reasonable requests to obtain needed information, staff limitations make extensive individual assistance impossible. Any assistance requiring more than 10 minutes of a staff member's time (in any department) will require an appointment.
- First priority: UNLV students, faculty, and staff who need assistive technology to complete their learning, teaching, and work. Students with disabilities who require extensive assistance should contact the Disability Resource Center in the Learning Enhancement Services Office, located in the Student Services Complex, Room 137-895-0866 (voice) and 895-0652 (TDD). It may be necessary to schedule appointments for services provided by this office.
Second Priority: Members of the community with disabilities who need access to the assistive technology for education or research. Staff assistance for this group is limited. Community users may be able to obtain additional assistance by contacting:
- Southern Nevada Center for Independent Living: 889-4216 (voice or TDD)
- Southern Nevada Talking Books Library: 733-1925(voice)
- BlindConnect: (702) 631-9009
- Goodwill of Southern Nevada: 597-1107
- Third Priority: UNLV students, faculty and staff who need to use the equipment because it supports their research needs. For example, students who need to use a publicly accessible scanner.
Because of the specialized nature of this equipment, these workstations are not intended for gaming, chat room use, reading personal emails, or other non-research related personal activities. Users engaging in such activities will be asked to relinquish the workstation for those needing to conduct educational or research related work.