UNLV Libraries Instructional Mission
The instructional mission of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries, in the spirit of the University’s teaching mission and in collaboration with other faculty, is to create promote and evaluate programs and services to empower the University community to:
- Develop qualities such as creativity, curiosity, and patience that enable them to effectively navigate information organized in a variety of ways.
- Identify and use tools, skills, and mechanisms appropriate to find needed information.
- Evaluate information and understand the significance of its context.
- Communicate and use information effectively.
These critical thinking skills, or information literacies, are crucial for life-long learning in an electronic age.
- Librarians work with instructors for general education courses to integrate meaningful research assignments for students, and help students to find and effectively use information.
- We develop responsive and effective online instructional materials to support students' development of information literacy skills
- We offer teaching development workshops for instructors and graduate assistants who teach research skills in their classes
- We are consistently engaged in the assessment of student learning in the library. We are observing and documenting the impact of library use on student success and retention.