Dartmouth Library October Conference
Friday, October 16, 2015
Dartmouth College, Hanover NH
First Call for Proposals (and save the date!)
Dartmouth Library’s October Conference is seeking proposals for its
eighteenth meeting, “Innovative Engagement.” The day-long event is
scheduled for Friday, October 16, 2015, and will be held at Dartmouth College
in Hanover, New Hampshire (an easy two-hour drive from Boston, Springfield, and
many other New England locations).
This year’s conference will focus on the increasingly creative ways libraries
are engaging with their communities through responsive (re)development of
programs and services. We want to hear how you’ve engaged with your users to
meet their changing needs. Potential topics could span a wide range including,
but not limited to, instruction, scholarly communication, collection
development, community programming, and new technologies. How have you
developed or redesigned a program or service in order to promote more
meaningful and active engagement with your user community? Tell us about it!
Some recent and relevant examples include
• A public library developing a community garden with a mission to
promote sustainable land use, community-building, and educational initiatives.
• Teen docents advising on collections and exhibits in a library or
• Librarians collaborating with faculty to support students as
engaged scholars and creators.
NEW Formats this year!
Based on feedback from past attendees we are offering three formats for
• Lightning talks - give the audience a concise and captivating
overview of a recent project. You may choose to use slides or other props to
spice up your 5-minute presentation. Time limit will be strictly enforced!
• Presentations - typically 15-30 minutes, this format allows for a
more in-depth discussion of a topic and time for questions from the audience.
• Round table discussions - You’ll lead an informal group
discussion of a topic of interest over lunch.
Proposals should include:
• A brief description, including how you see your proposal fitting in
with the overall focus of the conference this year.
• Preferred format (presentation, lightning talk, or lunchtime
• Contact information for all speakers (e-mail and phone number).
Submit your proposal through our online form by Friday, June 12, 2015.
Questions or comments? Contact Laura Barrett, Director of Education & Outreach:
The programs for previous October Conferences are available here.