Research Links: List of Databases, Course Reserves

Quick Search: Articles, newspapers, books and ebooks, videos and more. Results primarily available online but may also include books available in the library or articles that can be requested for email delivery from ILLiad.
Books: Print and online books available from UNLV Libraries or by ILLiad request.
Articles: Articles from academic journals, magazines and newspapers.

Library Information: Pages on library web site, for example research guides, library policies and procedures, hours and events.

Accessing Library Databases From Off-Campus

Requirements for Remote Access

  • Have status as a currently enrolled/employed student, faculty, or staff member. Due to licensing restrictions required by publishers who produce electronic resources, off-campus access to the databases is limited to authorized users. Only currently enrolled students and/or currently employed staff or faculty of UNLV can access licensed databases from off-campus. Alumni and other NSHE users are not eligible for this privilege.
  • Possess an activated UNLV ACE account.  If you already have an ACE account (the user name will usually be your last name and first initial), there is no need to activate anything at the library, and you will not need a PIN. 
  • Have Web access and a recent version of Internet Explorer, Firefox version, Google Chrome, or Safari:  Some databases only work with certain browsers.
  • Have cookies and javascript enabled in your browser and any pop-up blocker software disabled  Many of the databases and e-journals require that you have cookies and javascript turned on in your browser. Some use pop-up windows to display information. These settings are located under Tools-> Options in FireFox and under Tools->Internet Options in Internet Explorer.


Accessing databases

Once you meet all of the requirements simply click on the database you wish to use. You should see a screen asking for your ACE login.

If you have problems accessing resources from off-campus, try our Off-Campus Access FAQ, or use our problem report form to contact a staff member for assistance.