Did you know that the Libraries will deliver PDFs of journal articles or a single chapter from a book to your email at no charge? The DesktopExpress service scans and delivers articles and chapters from UNLV Libraries’ print collections in 1-2 business days. Journal articles or book chapters that are not available on campus are fulfilled in 3 or 4 days via a traditional interlibrary loan request .
UNLV faculty and staff use DesktopExpress and interlibrary loan services for the convenience, ease of use, and time saved. Dr. Michelle Tusan, Professor of History, recently completed her book, Smyrna’s Ashes, and credits the Libraries in going “above and beyond in helping me to track down and make use of difficult-to-find source material.”
Ready to save time and have the Libraries scan an article or book chapter? All you need is an ILLiad account!
Placing DesktopExpress requests:
• Use your ILLiad account to place and retrieve requests 24 hours a day.
• From the “New Request” menu on the left in your account, choose “Article” or “Book Chapter.”
• If you are using a library database to discover articles, look for the UNLV Find Text button – the Request a PDF option will automatically fill out an ILLiad request form for that item!
Each request can usually be scanned and delivered electronically within 1 business day. How to access your request:
• You will receive a notification to your email account that your requested article or book chapter has been delivered. Login to ILLiad to retrieve and download or print your article. The electronic file will remain in the Libraries’ system for 30 days.
• Due to copyright restrictions, we will deliver only one article per journal issue. We are unable to fulfill requests for multiple chapters of a book.
Click here  to learn more about Interlibrary Loan, DesktopExpress, and services available.