On October 19th, the eyes of the world will be on the UNLV campus for the final presidential debate of the 2016 campaign. As a part of the overall campus planning for the event, the UNLV University Libraries will adjust its library hours and services minimally during debate week in order to minimize the impact on the UNLV community.
Library hours and services will only be reduced on the evenings of Tuesday, October 18, and Wednesday, October 19. The slightly reduced hours take into account anticipated impact on access to campus, temporary displacement of parking near the library, and the start time of the televised debate (6 p.m. Pacific Time).
All libraries on campus will observe regular hours and provide all services through Monday, October 17. Library hours are available online at: https://www.library.unlv.edu/services/hours
On Tuesday, October 18, all UNLV University Libraries will open at their normal times. Only Lied Library will close early. Specific library hours are:
- Lied Library will open at it normal time (7:30 a.m.) and will close at 8 p.m. This is an early closing time.
- Special Collections will be open its normal hours – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Architecture Studies Library will be open its normal hours – 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Music Library will be open its normal hours – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Teacher Development & Resources Library will be open its normal hours – 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
On the day of the debate – Wednesday, October 19 – all UNLV University Libraries will open at their normal times and all UNLV Libraries will close at 5 p.m., one hour prior to the debate. Specific library hours are:
- Lied Library will open at it normal time (7:30 a.m.) and will close at 5 p.m. This is an early closing time.
- Special Collections will be closed.
- The Architecture Studies Library will be open at its normal time (8 a.m.) and close early at 5 p.m.
- The Music Library will be open at its normal time (10 a.m.) and will close early at 5 p.m.
- The Teacher Development & Resources Library will open at its normal time (8 a.m.) and will close early at 5 p.m.
On both Tuesday and Wednesday, these libraries will provide core services – circulation, research assistance, and computer help – from their circulation desks. Research and reference assistance will also be available virtually from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday and from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday via:
- Chat – https://v2.libanswers.com/widget_standalone.php?hash=2de07cac2d72945bcdf...
- Email – https://www.library.unlv.edu/ask/email.php
- Phone – 702-895-2111
- Text – 702-945-0882
Other Library Services
Library instruction sessions will be available on Monday and Tuesday, October 17 and 18. In accordance with library policy, faculty members who wish to schedule a library instruction session will need to request the instructional session at least one week in advance and no later than Monday, October 10. The instructional request form is online at: https://www.library.unlv.edu/inst/setup.php On Wednesday, no library instruction sessions will be held as no face-to-face classes are to be held on the main campus.
In support of the presidential debate, the Library has developed an online presidential debate guide – http://guides.library.unlv.edu/debate – that provides access to debate-related library resources. The resources in this guide provide students with an opportunity to explore debate and the history of presidential debates and may provide faculty with options for course assignments. Faculty members interested in developing course assignments related to the debate may contact their liaison librarian to discuss in more detail.
Due to closing of Harmon Street and disruptions to deliveries and limited staffing, interlibrary loan and document delivery services for physical materials will be suspended from Monday, October 17, through Wednesday, October 19, and will resume on Thursday, October 20. UNLV faculty, staff, and students will still be able to request and receive journal articles through Tuesday October 18th as they will be delivered electronically.
The Library Administration Office will be open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Wednesday, October 17 – 19.
The hours of any of the UNLV University Libraries are subject to change if directed by campus or other officials for security reasons.
If you have questions or comments about library hours and services during debate week, please contact Pat Hawthorne, Associate Dean for Research & Education, at 702-895-4127 or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All UNLV Libraries will resume regular hours and services on Thursday, October 20.