In honor of February being Black History Month, we are highlighting a number of African American resources that are available through UNLV Libraries, in addition to a variety of web resources.
- African American Music Reference: Comprehensive coverage of blues, jazz, spirituals, civil rights songs, slave songs, minstrelsy, rhythm and blues, gospel, and other forms of black American musical expression.
- African American Newspapers: The 19th Century: African-American newspapers published between 1827 and 1902.
- African Writers Series: Novels, plays, poetry, traditional African folk materials and non-fictional accounts of African culture and history.
- Black Drama, 1850 to Present: Plays written in the mid-1800s to present.
- Black Freedom Struggle in the 20th Century: 37 collections of documents from the records of federal government agencies.
- Black Studies Center: Scholarship and historical sources for Black Studies.
- Black Studies Center African American Newspapers: Full backfiles of ten 20th century African American newspapers.
Black history : more than just a month / Mike Henry
Call Number: E185 .H495 2013 3rd floor, Lied Library
The struggle for black history : foundations for a critical black pedagogy in education / Abul Pitre, Ruth Ray, Esrom Pitre
Call Number, E184.7 .P58 2008 3rd floor, Lied Library
Witness : art and civil rights in the sixties / Teresa A. Carbone and Kellie Jones ; with Connie H. Choi, Dalila Scruggs, Cynthia A. Young
N8217.C36 .C37 2014 4th floor, Lied Library
- Interpreting African American history and culture at museums and historic sites / Max van Balgooy (ebook)
- The Harlem Renaissance : a Historical Exploration of Literature / Lynn Domina (ebook)
- The African Americans collection : Many Rivers to Cross The Black Atlantic (1500-1800)
- Black American experience : African Americans who left their stamp on history
- The Age of Slavery [electronic resource] : (1800-1860) / Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.)
- Black Communities after the Civil War [electronic resource] / Eskridge, Ann E
- The Struggle Continues [electronic resource] : For Love of Liberty, the Story of America's BlackPatriots / Eleventh Day Entertainment, Inc.
- Documenting the African American Experience in Las Vegas
- African American History Month, Library of Congress
- African American History Mosaic Exhibition, Library of Congress
- Black History Month Resources, National Archives
- King Papers Project, Stanford University
- National Civil Rights Museum
- Black entertainers in Las Vegas : 1940-1960
- A demographic impact of Basic Magnesium on southern Nevada
- The evolution of a black community in Las Vegas : 1905-1940
- "Good time coming?" : Black Nevadans in the nineteenth century / Elmer R. Rusco
- McWilliams townsite, 1905-1980 : a history of West Las Vegas and its residents / written by Karen Tackett ; graphics by Ron Amie ; research by Ron Amie, Karen Tackett and Mike Jacobs
- The black experience in the silver state [videorecording]
- Beyond the glimmering lights : the pride and perseverance of African Americans in Las Vegas / Trish Geran
African American women confront the West : 1600-2000 / edited by Quintard Taylor, Shirley Ann Wilson Moore