UNLV is celebrating Asian Pacific Islander Heritage month in April, and the Libraries invite you to browse our related research collections, including some that are unique to UNLV!
- Asians in Nevada Collection is comprised of various materials (correspondence, newspaper clippings, biographical information and research papers) that deal with the history of Asians in Nevada in the 20th century.
- Lily Fong Papers contains the personal papers of the first Chinese-American female elected to the Nevada Board of Regents.
- Tomiyasu Photo Collection contains photographs of the notable Japanese-American family who farmed in Las Vegas from the 1920s-1960s.
- The Oral History Collection features oral history interviews of notable Asian-Americans in Nevada including Wing Fong, George Goto, Doris Shoong Lee, and Nanyu Tomiyasu.
Research Databases (may require a UNLV barcode)
- AnthropologyPlus: International index of journal articles, reports, commentaries, edited works & obituaries. Covers fields of social, cultural, physical, biological, and linguistic anthropology, ethnology, archaeology, folklore, material culture, and interdisciplinary studies.
- Anthrosource: Provides access to complete electronic archives of all American Anthropological Association (AAA) journals.
- Asian American Drama: Plays by Asian-American playwrights along with biographical, production and theatrical information.
- CultureGrams: Cultural reports for 187 countries and territories each including 25 categories such as land and climate, history, personal appearance, greetings, gestures, family, diet, holidays, economy, education, health, and events and trends.
- eHRAF World Cultures: Anthropological studies of cultures and ethnic groups. For each culture, all aspects of cultural and social life are covered, with topics ranging from religious beliefs, bringing up children, causes and cures of diseases, to economic and political behavior.
- Ethnic News Watch: Articles, editorials, and reviews from the ethnic, minority, and native press.
- Passport Global Market Information Database: Market research reports with demographic & statistical information on consumer lifestyle, consumer products, countries, companies & industries for over 350 markets in 207 countries.
Related books in Special Collections include:
- The Chinese in Nevada
- Gue Gim Wah: Pioneering Chinese Woman of Nevada
- In Pursuit of Gold: Chinese-American miners and merchants in the American West
- Peoples of Las Vegas: One City, Many Faces (2005) and More Peoples of Las Vegas: Las Vegas One City ,Many Faces (2010) includes chapters on the Chinese, the Japanese, the Koreans, and the Thais.
Tireless and Unremitting: the Chinese and Nevada's railroads (2003) is a documentary film available in the Media Department.