This position is scheduled between 10 and 20 hours per week during an average Sunday to Saturday work period. Scheduled shifts are dependent on Student Assistant availability, operational priorities, and the needs of the division and/or department.
Circulation Desk Student Assistants are prominent contact points between University Libraries and the University community--including students, staff, faculty, and the general public. They are expected to provide friendly and professional service while performing basic functions of library service, or other related tasks as assigned by a supervisor.
• Check out, check in, and renew circulating library material, including books, equipment and multimedia, on the automated system at the Circulation Desk.
• Issue library cards and update borrower records
• Communicate library and circulation policies
• Sort items for shelving and shelve materials as needed
• Maintain specialized collection areas
• Clean and organize Tech and Anatomical Reserves
• Retrieve items from the LASR Storage System as needed
• Answer informational, materials-related, and directional queries via telephone or in-person
• Refer patron-driven questions to librarians, supervisors, and staff members when appropriate
• Record usage statistics
• Opening and closing duties as scheduled
• Adding records for designated Course Reserves items
Climate-controlled environment with occasional outdoor duties. Sitting at a computer screen, physically lifting and moving materials weighing up to 50 lbs., maneuvering book trucks weighing up to 100 lbs., bending and stretching, and exposure to dust. Capable of reading labels for shelving and shelf reading.
• Customer service skills and high energy level
• Ability to push and pull fully loaded book trucks weighing up to 75lbs with minimal assistance
• Strong attention to detail and ability to follow directions
• Courteous and effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in a close group environment
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office and Google Drive software
• Retail and/or cash-handling experience
• Experience working in a library environment preferred