Apply Now To Be A Mason Undergraduate Peer Research Coach
Do you have strong interpersonal communication skills? Are you excited to learn new research strategies and teach them to other undergraduate students? The University Libraries are seeking first-year students to join this unique program where you will enhance your own research and academic skills while you help your peers develop their research skills.
What is the Mason Undergraduate Peer Research Coach Program?
A program created by UNLV Libraries—through the generous support of Flora and Stuart Mason—to encourage undergraduates to complete their degree and targets students who exhibit financial need and are first-generation college students or from under-represented ethnic groups. The program recruits highly motivated first year students and trains them to serve as library ambassadors.
How Does A Mason Peer Research Coach Benefit From The Program?
- Work on campus with flexible schedules
- Improve academic performance through advanced research skills
- Assigned a mentor who may share a similar subject interest or background
- Build their resume
- Enhance their self-confidence
- Gain important life-skills
- Develop lasting friendships with members of their cohort
- Increase their likelihood of completing their undergraduate degree
Who Is A Mason Undergraduate Peer Research Coach?
First-year students at UNLV
- First generation college students
- Students who exhibit financial need
And who demonstrate:
- An ability to communicate well with others
- Leadership potential or initiative
- Desire to learn
Why Are The Libraries Sponsoring This Program?
Independent studies indicate students in programs focused on strengthening research skills are more likely to complete a degree. Rigorous training and evaluation are part of the program and will ensure their skills meet the needs of the program as well as their individual research needs. In addition to receiving financial and emotional support during their academic careers at UNLV, Mason Peer Research Coaches serve both as role models for other students and as ambassadors of the Libraries throughout campus.
For Additional Information Contact:
4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 457008
Las Vegas, NV 89154-7008
4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 457014
Las Vegas, NV 89154-7014