Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for June.
James D. O'Brien Photographs, approximately 1900-1929. PH-00378. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The James D. O'Brien Photographs (approximately 1900-1929) are photograph albums and scrapbooks created by James D. O'Brien, surveyor, mining engineer and prospector. O'Brien's photographs feature locations throughout Central and Southern Nevada and Death Valley, California. Photographs depict life and work in mining camps; miners and their families; local Shoshone Indians; mining company financiers; landscape and mining towns. Locations include but are not limited to Pahrump, Nevada; Pioneer, Nevada; Rhyolite, Nevada; Wahmonie, Nevada; and Death Valley, California.
- Subjects: black-and-white photographs; Mining camps; Death Valley (Calif. and Nev.); Rhyolite (Nev.); Pahrump Valley (Nev. and Calif.)
Ralph Cadwallader oral history interview, 2001 October 15. OH-00147. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.. Explore the complete interview.
- Oral history interview with Ralph Cadwallader conducted by Jane Kurakazu on October 15, 2001 for the Public School Principalship Oral History Project. In the interview, Cadwallader discusses his family and upbringing in Massachusetts. He then discusses how he came to Las Vegas, Nevada in the late 1960s to teach at Garside Junior High School. He discusses his appointment as assistant principal at Western High School and Basic High School during the 1970s before being appointed as Associate Superintendent of the Clark County School District in 1978. He discusses his duties as Associate Superintendent and changes that he implemented at Valley High School, Clark High School, Bonanza High School, and Chaparral High School. He also discusses his philosophy as a school administrator, and how this philosophy influenced his interactions with educators and students. He briefly discusses his role as Associate Superintendent in Tempe, Arizona, but then discusses his 1999 return to Las Vegas as part of the Nevada Association of School Administrators.
- Subjects: Oral histories (document genres); High school teachers; School principals; Administration; Education and state -- Nevada; Public schools -- Clark County -- Nevada
Republican Women of Southern Nevada Records Political Action Committee Records, 2012-2016. MS-01087. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Republican Women of Southern Nevada Political Action Committee Records (2012-2016) contain committee and financial records of the Republican Women of Southern Nevada Political Action Committee (RWSN PAC). The majority of the materials are representative of Priscilla Campbell's time as treasurer of RWSN PAC. Materials include campaign contribution reports, financial statements, meeting agendas and minutes, and souvenir programs for the organization's annual gala.
- Subjects: Republican Party (Nev.); Women in politics -- Nevada; Political action committees