Every month, Special Collections and Archives will highlight some of our newly processed collections. Here are some of the highlights for February.
Gerald Schaffer Professional Papers, approximately 1954-1999. MS-01065. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Gerald Schaffer Professional Papers (approximately 1954-1999) contain materials from Schaffer's time working as a political executive assistant, private sector consultant, and developer of commercial, residential, and gaming projects throughout Clark County, Nevada. The collection includes newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence, and administrative files from Schaffer's time working as an executive assistant for Nevada Congressman Walter S. Baring Jr. Schaffer's work with organizations is represented through programs, photographs, and correspondence. Documents relating to his work as Commissioner of Public Housing on the Clark County Public Housing Authority, service as Clark County Planning Commissioner, and as a commercial and residential developer in Las Vegas are also present in the collection.
- Subjects: Politics and government; Political campaigns; Real estate development -- Nevada -- Las Vegas; Golden Gloves Tournament; Constables; Baring, Walter S. (Walter Stephan), 1911-1975; Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital (Denver, Colo.); Nevada Constables Association; Nevada Peace Officers; Jewish War Veterans of the United States, Inc.
Southern Nevada Governance Web Archive, 2016-2017. MS-01084. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Southern Nevada Governance Web Archive is composed of archived websites captured from 2016 to 2017 that are representative of local government agencies in Southern Nevada. Cities represented in the collection include Boulder City, Henderson, Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Mesquite, and Pahrump. The collection also includes websites for regional agencies and authorities such as the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada, the Las Vegas Valley Water District, and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
- Subjects: Web archives; Web sites; Politics and government; Clark County (Nev.); Southern Nevada
Margie Llorente-Gonzales oral history interview, 2021 November 01 and 22. OH-03804. [Cite format consulted: Audio recording or Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- Oral history interview with Marietta "Margie" Llorente-Gonzales conducted by Cecilia Winchell, Vanessa Concepcion, and Stefani Evans on November 1 and 22, 2021 for Reflections: The Las Vegas Asian American and Pacific Islander Oral History Project. Margie Llorente-Gonzales discusses her upbringing in Manila, the Philippines and her family history within the country, recalling the lives of her parents, grandparents, and great grandparents. She talks about her childhood, educational pursuits, and courtship with her husband in the Philippines. Margie shares how she and her husband immigrated to the United States, how she adapted to her new life as an immigrant dependent on her extended family, and how she and her husband came to settle in Las Vegas. She talks about her artistic pursuits in the forms of dance choreography and performing, scriptwriting, broadcasting, and publishing newsletters. Margie also discusses her employment at McCarran Airport and her political activism, canvassing, and committee work in the Philippines and the United States.
- Subjects: Oral histories (document genres); Manila (Philippines); Las Vegas (Nev.); Filipinos; Family histories; Emigration and immigration; Dancers; Performing arts; Broadcasting; Publishers and publishing
Shar Rednour and Jackie Strano Papers on SIR Video, 1984-2011. MS-01077. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Explore the complete finding aid.
- The Shar Rednour and Jackie Strano Papers on SIR Video (1984-2011) contain the personal and professional papers of Rednour and Strano, two lesbian filmmakers, writers, and activists from the 1990s until the 2010s. The collection contains the personal papers of both Rednour and Strano, including correspondence between the pair before they married in 2006. The collection also contains the professional files of Rednour and Strano in their capacity as creators of SIR (Sex, Indulgence, and Rock and Roll) Video in 1998. Materials include financial documents, correspondence, scripts and editing notes, crew information, publicity photographs, and direct order forms for SIR Video productions. In addition to records on SIR Video, the collection also contains a number of sex-positive and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) publications from the LGBTQ scene in San Francisco, California during the 1990s.
- Subjects: Lesbians; Pornography; Film festivals; San Francisco (Calif.); SIR Video Productions