We provide data consultation and instructional support for students, researchers, and instructors. This includes the identification and use of data and tools associated with data collection, preparation, curation, visualization, and management.
NOTE: At this time, due to staff vacancies, the Libraries can only offer guides (linked at the bottom of the page) to support qualitative analysis. We will update this space when instruction and consultation services related to these topics are reinstated. We look forward to being able to provide these services in the future. For any questions or concerns, please contact the Data Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We help researchers with diverse backgrounds identify and work with a variety of data-related tools, and provide consultations, instructional sessions, and workshops.
Request a Consultation
- Appointments and private consultations are available via the Lied Technology Consultations page.
- If you are a UNLV instructor and would like instruction for your class, please complete the request form or reach out to the Data Librarian at email@example.com.
Consultation and Instruction Topics Include
- Finding and creating data: We can help you locate appropriate data sources as well as navigate licensing concerns around using open data. In addition, we can advise on best practices in relation to data creation, including assisting with ensuring proper documentation and research reproducibility.
- Data preparation: We can assist you with issues that you may encounter regarding preparing data for visualization and analysis, including organizing, merging, and cleaning data. In addition to providing individual consultations, we can arrange instruction around principles and supported software.
- Data management: We can advise you on topics related to data management, such as data documentation, data organization, versioning, or finding external repositories for data publication. In addition to providing individual consultations, we can arrange instruction around principles and supported software.
- In conjunction with Scholarly Communication and Data Services, we will help you understand what is required, what to include, and how to submit Data Management Plans. To find out more about data management plans, see Developing Your Data Management Plan or our guide highlighting Data Management Plan tools and templates.
- Additional support: We can advise you on topics related to introductory programming with Python. This includes finding resources related to additional training and advising on appropriate libraries for projects related to preparing, managing, and visualizing data.
Trainings and workshops
Learn more about data management best practices or foundational computing research skills. View upcoming UNLV Library Workshops.
Previous workshop topics have included data management overviews, curation, storage and sharing, reproducible research, data cleaning, and versioning with GitHub.
Looking for specific software at Lied Library? Check out Computer Locations and Availability.
- Data and Statistics
- Data Management and Publishing
- Getting Started with Data Cleaning and OpenRefine
- Qualitative Data
- Quantitative Data