You are here
The Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature (ABELL) lists monographs, periodical articles, critical editions of literary works, book reviews, and collections of essays published anywhere in the world. Unpublished doctoral dissertations are covered for the period 1920-1999.
The bibliography consists of 78 volumes, beginning in 1920 and issued annually; a number of items published between 1892 and 1919 have been indexed retrospectively. Subject areas covered by ABELL include:
- English language - syntax, phonology, lexicology, semantics, stylistics, and dialectology
- English literature - poetry, prose, fiction, films, biography, travel writing, literary theory, and studies of individual authors
- Bibliography - manuscript studies, textual studies, and the history of publishing
- Traditional culture of the English-speaking world - custom, belief, narrative, song, dance, and material culture
- From the Search page, you can find material by using one or a combination of the search boxes. If you need help deciding what to enter into a search box, you can click the relevant Select from a list > link. This displays a list of appropriate terms for you to select, which then transfers you back to the relevant search box when you click Select.
- To search for a subject, enter a description of the subject in the Subject box and click the Search button. You must enter full personal names in the format last name, first name (e.g. Shakespeare, William).
- To check for the full text of an article, click the Get Text button at the bottom of the citation and follow the links to either electronic text or to the library’s catalog to check for availability. Some items do not have a Get Text button; these items the library definitely does not own.
Where is it :
Go to the UNLV Libraries' home page. Under Find, select Articles, then under Article databases by name, click on the letter A and select Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature.