Research Links: List of Databases, Course Reserves

Quick Search: Articles, newspapers, books and ebooks, videos and more. Results primarily available online but may also include books available in the library or articles that can be requested for email delivery from ILLiad.
Books: Print and online books available from UNLV Libraries or by ILLiad request.
Articles: Articles from academic journals, magazines and newspapers.

Library Information: Pages on library web site, for example research guides, library policies and procedures, hours and events.

Conference Report from ACRL

By Cory Lampert on April 5, 2007 8:46 AM | Permalink
I returned Monday, a bit run down, from the excitement of the ACRL Conference in Baltimore. This was my first time attending the conference and I found it to be very worthwhile and fun in both programming and in the networking/social opportunities. Here is a summary of the highlights: Thursday: I got an early start and registered in the morning so that I could avoid the rush prior to the Keynote Address and Opening Reception. The keynote speaker, Michael Eric Dyson kicked off a rather rousing afternoon and somehow managed to cover a wide range of social issues AND tie it all into why librarianship is a noble pursuit. It is always fun to see a speaker that is also capable of entertaining, so Dyson's Baptist preaching and hip-hop ad-libbing added a welcome bit of flavor to the presentation. After the presentation, I took a lap through the exhibits, talked to a few very persistant salesmen and had an over-priced glass of bad wine before heading out to a dinner meeting with a vendor. Since this is a summary of highlights, I will mention here that it is worth it to try the Maryland crab cakes, even if you aren't a huge seafood fan. They were great. Friday: I relocated to my hotel near Johns Hopkins in the morning and then met up with my co-presenter to hear John Waters speak at lunch and get prepared for our poster session. I have seen John Waters speak before and I am happy to report that he did not tone it down for the sake of the librarians or the fact that it was a keynote over lunch! We had a great turnout for the afternoon posters and I only felt a tiny bit mobbed. Our poster was titled: "Staying Afloat in Technology Tempests; Transforming New Librarians into Tech-Savvy Experts". We learned during the session, that even though we chose the "new librarian track" to target recent grads considering new technology-related positions, that we had tons of comments from "older/more seasoned" librarians dealing with the same issues. It seems there is a whole group of re-assigned librarians also working in digitization or as Web Services librarians, as well. Friday night I met up with some new friends and ran into some former colleagues. We had a nice dinner, some excellent local beer, and great conversations. Saturday: After recovering my voice from the poster session and all the chit-chatting at dinner, I headed to the conference to do, well, conference stuff. I saw the exhibits in more detail, and attended some information sessions. I saw a contributed paper on "The New Academic Library-Building Institutional Repositories to Support Changing Scholarly and Research Processes" by Tyler Walters of Georgia Tech. I was interested to learn that at Georgia Tech their repository support faculty/research scholarly communication, student intellectual output, learning objects, and digital research data sets. This trend towards new content in repositories is definitely one to keep in mind, since it raises the fundamental question of what type of content libraries should play a role in managing. I attended a roundtable at lunch, "Uncharted Waters: Academic Libraries' Role in Providing Digital Images for Research and Teaching" moderated by Carole Ann Fabian and Jessica McCullough from ARTstor. This was a fascinating discussion and very relevant to my work on our campus task force on images. There are some interesting developments being discussed to better integrate the sometimes unwieldy image collections built in CONTENTdm, offered through ARTstor, and described in a variety of standards. After sharing information with other institutions, I left hopeful that with open access standards in place, harvesting of metadata, and implementation of emerging VRA standards we can work through some of our remaining questions about creating an image repository for campus. In the afternoon, I went to a panel session on "Networking Across Campus: Collaborative Partnerships through Humanities Computing". This title did not intially catch my eye, but when I saw that the presenters were from the University of Nebraska I was excited to hear about how their digitization program has fostered collaboration. I came away with a real excitement for the ways that their students are interacting with primary (Special Collections) material and creating digital projects as an alternative to writing papers. I also felt the concept of "collaboration begets more collaboration" was particularly relevant to my work starting out here at UNLV. It is impossible not to mention the fabulous all-conference reception at the National Aquarium. This reception almost made me forget how expensive the conference was! I had a great time and was literally stared down by a huge and very toothy shark while attempting to make sense of a tricky CONTENTdm problem with a colleague. I would recommend ACRL as a conference because it is big enough that there is something for everyone, but small enough that I actually felt like I made some connections. It was great to reconnect with folks from library school, meet new contacts working on the same problems, and listen to some very exciting presentations from the experts.

Comments

Submitted by live22 play (not verified) on
When someone writes an post he/she keeps the plan of a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it. Therefore that's why this post is outstdanding. Thanks! http://Www.Conversecompany.com/__media__/js/netsoltrademark.php?d=aircon-toshiba.ru%2Fbitrix%2Fredirect.php%3Fevent1%3D%26event2%3D%26event3%3D%26goto%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fkasino.vin%2Fdownloads%2F71-download-live22
Submitted by 918kiss free credit (not verified) on
The Speaker's podium was utilized as the Preacher's pulpit. Protected minorities passed the test, they to be able to score sufficient. He tells me that the competition except him has a new turn making use of the front row. http://www.manhattanplace.com/__media__/js/netsoltrademark.php?d=scr888.party%2Findex.php%2Fother-games%2F38-918kiss-scr888
Submitted by live draw hk 22... (not verified) on
If all goes well I can generate to a maximum of 30% relating to the margin. You cann just check out the Forrx webswite and find out an account there. Well, as i told my son, I tend Iron Condors as my (occasional) job. http://www.metamorphosis-st-ives.com/3-factors-to-check-out-when-deciding-on-a-casino-online/
Submitted by 22 live rifle uk (not verified) on
Many of us know a kid who is a full-time currency trader. Trying to get one of the listed guys to explain to you what they do is never easy. These types of prone to make everything sound extremely required. In the brief currency trading tutorial below we will look to give remedies for some basic questions. How can you qualify to be a currency stock trader? There is no formal qualification recommended. You can open like the demo account with any one of hundreds of online currency traders right now. You will be up and running and trading on a such business relationship within two or three minutes. You also don't really should try to invest everything to trade by using a demo plan. The passes (such as E-ZPass) that permit you to quickly bypass the normal toll booths do higher just facilitate your ride. They also can end with a speeding ticket or why not be used to trace your moves. Some states are issuing tickets purchase travel too soon between tolls, and data recorded has even been subpoenaed in civil lawsuits, including divorce illnesses. If you want more privacy, you may decide to contain more than one pass, and alternate their use, or occasionally simply use the regular toll compartments. Let's claim that you have $500 (that you can afford to lose) to open a live22 free credit. You investigate different lenders for a Forex broker and get set with a free demo account. Actually, it's pretty easy to get this done online. Next, you purchase a Global forex trading robot that generates automatic trades for people. You figure, you'll be in cash in virtually no time. You've done no research and barely know what pips are, but you've heard many artisans easy to earn big profits. Once youve created a CFD account, you can start trading. Because you want to grow successful in this particular type of trading, you have to keep a watchful eye on the market. This will give you a possiblity to see or perhaps a prices of the shares your CFD, trading is in line with are rising or lagging. Only in such a way you will get to determine you are getting profits or loosing. A great example, in the event the cost each share rises by five percent you, for investor may make up to 100 percent profit on such choice. Nonetheless, an investor should be to help undergo heavy losses in case the price every and every share falls by equivalent 5 p . c .. Now, brand-new development has started. Some of your professional forex traders have started signal service via which they trade their own accounts using own personal savings. You get real live trading signals should be competent pro forex traders make their own trading decisions on their live membership. The satisfaction of some cash diminishes searching for profit is made, being replaced from your fear of losing the benefits already reached. It will come a point when the satisfaction in excess of profits becomes zero in order to become totally consumed by the worry of losing the profits that is already made. Simply onwards, investors start taking profit by selling and so a pullback in price. That point seems unusually correlated amongst human beings and the actual first sight of profit taking occurs, the rest succumbs in fears too and sell. Now you have to be to be able to open a demo trading account with an online broker. This is an effective opportunity to find out the theoretical knowledge that you have gained under practical circumstances. It's the equal of with a valuable trade, other than you is definately not trading with real hard earned money. Trade like this for a few weeks. Soon you will gain more confidence you need to to make regular commissions. As a forex trade beginner, you should never begin mastering live trading before could certainly trade profitably on the demo scenario. http://mood.jses.ntpc.edu.tw/phpinfo.php/RS=ADAB91PNtPb7Qj1trJZYaWvNXyxwQU-?a%5B%5D=%3Ca+href%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Flive22.online%2F%3Elive22+apk%3C%2Fa%3E
Submitted by Melodee (not verified) on
Thousands of consumers are turning to your Forex as a means to create a living from your own home. Have you been duped by unscruipulous forex product vendors in the beyond? I opened a live account with my $5,000 aand began trading.
Submitted by live22 apk (not verified) on
This is a simple but effective persuasion technique. Undertake it ! earn profit the forex almost quicker than doing anything else in turmoil. Some traders buy assets jus for a higher price before the contract expires. https://Live22.online/
Submitted by 918 kiss (not verified) on
Doing so carefully and thoughtfully will enable you to have an ever-increasing stream of visitors and profits. In your lens, yoou can speak about a particular product which find intriguing or suitable. http://scr888.party/index.php/download/37-918kiss-scr888
Submitted by Aline (not verified) on
I'm not sure why but this web site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.
Submitted by OCO EA for MT4 (not verified) on
I have recently started a website, the information you provide on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work. OCO EA for MT4 https://www.robotfx.ro/2019/01/metatrader-news-expert-advisor.html
Submitted by Hedge EA for MT4 (not verified) on
I am extremely impressed together with your writing skills as neatly as with the format for your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it's uncommon to look a great blog like this one today. Hedge EA for MT4 https://www.robotfx.ro/2019/01/auto-recovery-expert-advisor.html

Pages