This afternoon, I joined our Subject Liaison librarians at a meeting where I was asked to talk about potential roles they might play in working with faculty on digitization projects.
Here are some notes from my handout:
1. Main Contact with faculty- Role identifying collections, opportunities, proposing projects
2. Information Source- Role communicating campus/school issues, priorities, interests of faculty
3. Subject Specialist- Collection Development role: selection, identification, organization and description to help create useful metadata
4. Research Expert- Usability/Instruction Role: understanding of faculty and students research needs should be part of designing collection web pages, custom searches, and database design.
5. Cheerleader- Role promoting digital collections and the original primary resources, help provide context and relate digital collections to other resources.
6. Eye on the Marketplace- Role interacting with vendors, database providers, publishers of other online resources (including other digital collections).
So youâ€™ve heard tidbits about a potential projectâ€¦what next?