- Alphabetical index by title to Nevada Newspapers
- Nevada Newspapers by City
- Nevada Newspapers by Title
- Nevada Newspapers by County
HINT: A good way to start a search may be to go to the Nevada Newspapers by City list and select a city. This list sorts chronologically by date so that it is easy to access the newspaper for the time period appropriate for your research.
3/30/1929 - 12/31/1996. Searchable page images for the Las Vegas Review Journal in Access Nevada.
9/29/1996 - present. Full-text articles (no images) for the Las Vegas Review Journal in Access Nevada.
12/2/1990 - 12/31/2012. Full-text articles for the Las Vegas Review Journal in ProQuest US Newsstream.
1996 - present. Full-text articles for the Las Vegas Sun, 2/19/96 -current in Access Nevada. Also includes scattered issues from 1973-1995 and a single issue from 1957.
- 1983 - 1990 Citations only microfiche index available at UNLV Library to Las Vegas Review Journal and Las Vegas Sun.
- 1972 - 1982 Citations only to Las Vegas Review Journal and Las Vegas Sun available in NNI Nevada Newspaper Index on UNLV Library microfilm scanning computers. Instructions on how to use.
1965 - 1977 Full-text articles for the Las Vegas Sun are available online via Las Vegas-Clark County Library's subscription to NewspaperArchive.com - you must have an LVCCLD card or visit a branch for online access.
1930 - 8/1968 Las Vegas Review Journal index (citations only) available on index cards at the Cahlan Research Library inside the Nevada Historical Society and Museum, which is located in Springs Preserve. Contact them or call ahead at 702-486-5205 to make an appointment to use the index.
- 1905 - 1940 Las Vegas Age index (citations only) available on index cards, also at the Cahlan Research Library.
- 4/7/1905-1915, 1917-1922, 1924 Full-text articles for the Las Vegas Age http://digital.lvccld.org/lvage.html.
There are no indexes available for 9/1968 - 1971 for the Las Vegas Review Journal and no indexes for the Las Vegas Sun for 1950-1971. The Review Journal index can be used to cross-reference Las Vegas Sun articles for 1950 - 8/1968.
Newspaper Indexes for other Nevada Newspaper titles
- Nevada Newspaper Indexes (various indexes avalible throughout the state). (PDF)
- 1991 - 1996 Citations to various Nevada newspapers (available on UNLV Library computers and on microfiche). List of titles. Instructions on how to use.
- Jan. 1990 - Dec. 1990 Nevada Appeal citations only microfiche index available at UNLV Library.
Aug 1893 - June 6, 1922 Nevada State Journal available through America's Historical Newspapers.
- July 1885 - Feb. 19, 1887 Elko Daily Independent available through America's Historical Newspapers.
- 1870 - 1904 Pioche Weekly index (citations only) available on index cards at the Cahlan Research Library inside the Nevada Historical Society and Museum, which is located in the Springs Preserve. Contact them or call ahead at 702-486-5205 to make an appointment to use the index.
- June 16, 1869 - Sept. 21, 1869 Inland Empire available through America's Historical Newspapers .
- June 15, 1869 White Pines News available through America's Historical Newspapers .
- March 23, 1865 Humboldt Register available through America's Historical Newspapers .
- Aug 1864 Reese River Reveille available through America's Historical Newspapers .
This database is not online. You must be at the library to use it - it is loaded on the microfilm stations.
- From the desktop, find the NNI Nevada Newspaper Index icon.
- Select Newspaper below Databases at the top left side of the screen.
- Go to View on the toolbar and select tree and profile.
- De-select viewer. Select the binoculars from the toolbar.
- Go to Settings and make sure rank search results is check marked, word setting is set to exact and Boolean operator to use between fields is set to "and".
- Then select Documents Contents and type in search terms. You are searching a list of index terms, so personal names or topics are good choices.
- Press the search button at the bottom of the screen. When an entry is highlighted, the full citation will display at the bottom of the page.
- The index entry will display the title of the article, subject, title of the newspaper, date, section (if applicable), and page.
- Please write down information needed as opposed to printing. This database prints only one citation per sheet of paper and the print is extremely small.
Titles of Nevada newspapers covered in this database:
|+Las Vegas Sun||1972 - 1982; 1991 - 96||Las Vegas|
|+Las Vegas Review Journal*||1972 - 1982; 1991 - 96||Las Vegas|
|Boulder City News||1991 - 1996||Boulder City|
|Henderson Home News||1991 - 1996||Henderson|
|Reno Gazette Journal||1991 - 1996||Reno|
|Daily Sparks Tribune||1991 - 1996||Sparks|
|Nevada Appeal||1991 - 1996||Carson City|
|Elko Daily Free Press||1991 - 1996||Elko|
|Elko Daily Times||1991 - 1996||Elko|
|Fernley Leader - Dayton Courier||1991 - 1996||Fernley|
|Humboldt Sun||1991 - 1996||Winnemucca|
|Mason Valley News||1991 - 1996||Yerington|
|Lovelock Review Miner||1991 - 1996||Lovelock|
|Lincoln County Record||1991 - 1996||Pioche|
|Mineral County Independent - News||1991 - 1996||Hawthorne|
|Record Courier||1991 - 1996||Gardnerville|
|Lahontan Valley News / Fallon Eagle Standard||1991 - 1996||Fallon|
|Los Angeles Times (various articles about Nevada)||1991 - 1996|
+Note: for Las Vegas Review Journal and Las Vegas Sun for 1983 - 1990, use microfiche index located at the Research & Information counter
*features only the combined weekend editions of the Las Vegas Review Journal for 1991 - 1996.
Other information about this database
All bolded headings in the database are titles. When the title changes for more than 6 months, the title will be listed under its masthead title (paper's actual name on page one), and it will be located appropriately in the collection.
The Library has field indicates the Libraries' holdings for the specific title. If the dates are separated by commas (i.e. 1928, 1935, 1942), it indicates only those dates; and if hyphenated (i.e. 1928 - 1942) it indicates through dates listed. If the entry states 1981- date, it indicates that this newspaper is a current microfilm subscription.
The field below Library has is an additional information field. This field includes missing (Msg.) dates from the collection only if three consecutive months are missing. This field can contain box title information. Box title refers to the title the entry is filed under in the collection. If no dates appear after box title, the entire holdings are filed under the box title in the collection. When dates follow the box title, only those specific dates can be found under that title in the collection. Included in this field is anything unusual that may be of interest pertaining to the paper's content.
All newspapers are on microfilm and are located in the Microforms Area of Research & Information on the first floor in the white tagged cabinets under the generic call number of AN2 .A1; and then listed alphabetically by title.
The book The Newspapers of Nevada : A History and Bibliography 1854 - 1979 by Richard Lingenfelter and Karen Rix Gash may provide useful historical background information. There is a copy in the Special Collections Department under call number Z6952.N49 L56 1984.