The University Libraries assists faculty with designing a customized online course guide for classes offered at UNLV. These guides support instruction and research at the undergraduate and graduate level. Course guides are developed by a liaison librarian or teaching and learning librarian at the request of and in partnership with a UNLV faculty instructor.
Course guides provide tailored resources for specific courses, research projects, or assignments that meets the needs of the instructor and the students. Using library resources builds confidence that students understand the research process and are accessing high-quality information sources that are appropriate for a college-level course.
Course guides provide students with:
- Background information or an introduction to research resources for a specific discipline, subject, or topic.
- Links to library resources such as databases, e-books, e-journals, and full-text resources.
- Curated lists of books or journals.
- Links to unique digital collections and primary sources available through Special Collections.
- Multimedia resources, such as online tutorials, videos, and RSS feeds.
- Information on how to properly use and cite research, as well as links to specific citation style manuals and bibliographic tools like RefWorks and Mendeley.
- Outline strategies and methods for conducting research and evaluating information.
- Links to campus resources like the Writing Center or Academic Success Center.
Each guide contains contact information for a library faculty member with expertise in the topic area. Library faculty may assist students with course assignments and projects through research consultation appointments to help select and define a research topic, and answer questions about library resources, services, and research strategies.
To see an example of a course guide, visit the English 102 page. The guide was designed to support students in the development of a research topic and the creation of an annotated bibliography. Created by Teaching and Learning Librarian Erin Rinto, the guide includes exercises, handouts, and a series of online tutorials that support the course.
As an added tool, course guides can be embedded in the WebCampus course webpage, providing quick and convenient access for students.
A list of the more than 120 guides available from UNLV University Libraries is available online, with topics including the arts, humanities, sciences, and social sciences. In addition to course guides, the collection contains subject guides, topical guides, and help and services guides on library services. To create a new course guide, contact your liaison librarian.