Venetian, 3355 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The Venetian Hotel & Casino opened in 1999 with 3,036 rooms and
is modeled after a number of famous and beautiful buildings at the Piazza
San Marco in Venice, including the Campanile (bell tower) and the Doge's
Palace, as well as the nearby Rialto Bridge. In the Venetian Hotel
& Casino, these structures are faithfully reproduced, but their
locations are juxtaposed. Also, the Venetian is home to the Venetian
Ballroom; with 85,000 square feet of space, it is the largest pillarless
ballroom in North America. The 500,000 square foot indoor Grand Canal
Shoppes at the Venetian offer over 50 different stores including high
fashion brands such as Kenneth Cole, Banana Republic, and Movado as
well as casual and fine dining.
Desert Inn, 3145 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The Desert Inn opened in 1950. Utilizing the design of Wayne McAllister,
Hugh Taylor, and Jack Lessman, the original Desert Inn cost 3.5 million
dollars to build and consisted of 225 rooms. In 1952 the golf course
at the DI opened, and in 1963 owner Wilbur Clark decided to expand his
hotel, with the addition of the St. Andrews Tower adding another 100
rooms to the total. Four years later Clark sold his property to Howard
Hughes for $13.25 million, making an approximate $10 million profit.
In 1978 the Hughes, Summa Corporation added the Augusta Tower, increasing
room capacity to 825 rooms designed by Archi Systems International:
John Spohrer. In 1988, however, the Desert Inn was sold to Kirk Kerkorian,
and then sold again to Itt/Sheraton in 1993. Itt/ Sheraton renovated
the casino in 1997 under design and interior by Paul Steelman Companies
and Hisch Bedner Associates ( Los Angeles ) for $200 million, and decreased
its total number of rooms to 715. Due to a lack of success for this
property, Itt/ Sheraton sold the DI once again to present owner Steve
Wynn at the start of the millennium. Wynn imploded the Augusta Tower
in October of 2001. Wynn has plans for an upscale resort named after
the Picasso piece "La Reve".
Silver City, 3001 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The Riata Casino, which was across the street from the Stardust, opened
in 1973 and closed in 1974, and was replaced by the Silver City Casino
that year. In 1979, Circus Circus Enterprises, Inc., purchased the Silver
City Casino and re-opened it in 1981 at 3001 Las Vegas Boulevard South.
On and around the casino a person can see all kinds of wooden statues.
These statues were carved using only a chainsaw. In October of 1999,
Luke Brugnara, owner of San Francisco based Brugnara Corporation, bought
Silver City for almost $30 million. Brugnara is planning to develop
the 32,000 square foot casino and the 40,000 square foot retail area
located on eight acres into a full-fledged hotel-casino. Silver City
closed on October 31, 1999, as Brugnara could not obtain a Nevada gaming
license in time to prevent the closure.
El Morocco, 2975 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1965, El Morocco advertised Ash Resnick's Cafe Morocco, located in
the motel. Entrees included Chicken Montpensier, Roast Long Island Duckling,
Fresh Ground Sirloin Bouquetiere, Broiled Rock Island Lobster, Filet
Mignon, Chicken Americana, Veal Francaise, Beef Stroganoff, Prime Tournedos
of Beef, and Veal Oscar. In a '70s brochure, it advertised their award
winning pool design by Nevada Pools: "Relax to the warmth of our therapy
pool and then refresh to the coolness of the cascading waters of the
main swimming pool. For the children, their private fountain pool. By
night, a fantasy of color." The motel contained a beauty salon, coffee
shop, cocktail lounge and casino. It closed in 1983 and is presently
occupied by a Japanese barbecue.
Riviera, 2901 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1955 the Riviera opened its doors for the first time ever. Under
design by Roy France & Son with J. Maher Weller, the then small hotel
and casino cost Gus Greenbaum $10 million to construct. The hotel stood
at a mere 9 stories high and had only 291 rooms available. In 1974 the
Riviera under went an $11 million addition of 300 rooms and changed
ownership to Riviera, Inc. In 1977, a new addition and remodel was completed
at a cost of $4.3 million, which added 6 new stories to the structure.
In 1981 and 1988 the casino would undergo two more additions costing
$40 million and $28 million, respectively, including a 24 story tower
which boosted the room count to over 2100. Both '80s additions were designed
by Architect Martin Stern, Jr. Finally, in 1990 the hotel underwent
a façade remodel by Nikita Zukov, Architect.
Silverbird, 2755 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Previously known as the Thunderbird, the Silverbird, designed by Martin Stern, Jr., and owned by Major Riddle, opened in 1977 for
1981 it was sold and renamed El Rancho for $3 million before it went out
El Rancho, 2755 Las Vegas Blvd. S
After the Thunderbird became the Silverbird in 1981, the Silverbird
became what is presently known as the El Rancho. Ed Torres purchased
it for a whopping $500 thousand and one year later hired who else but
Martin Stern, Jr., to expand the casino for $37 million, bringing it to
1009 rooms. In 1987 he brought Stern back in to remodel once again,
for $12 million this time. Unfortunately, things did not go according
to plan for Torres and his dream closed down in 1992, when he packed
up and sold it to Las Vegas Entertainment. It is presently closed
Sahara, 2535 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1952 the Sahara Hotel and Casino first opened its doors to the general
public. Its original low-rise design came from Max Maltzmann and cost
owner Milton Prell of Dell Webb Corp. $5.5 million to construct. In
1959 Martin Stern, Jr., was called in to design and construct towers
for the Sahara, adding 14 stories and 200 rooms to the original structure.
In 1960 he added another story for another 200 rooms. In 1967 he designed
a Convention Center Addition for $3 million. 1977 brought about a high-rise
addition costing $16 million and once again designed by Stern. In 1979
Stern was back at work designing room additions for an additional $30
million and creating 625 new rooms for the hotel. As of 1988, ownership
shifted to Paul & Sue Lowden, and it was sold once again to William
Bennett for $193 million in 1995. Bennett would then renovate the hotel
and add the new Speedworld based on NASCAR racing. He would hire Bergman
Walls, Ltd. for the job and pay $100 million to have his vision become
reality. The Sahara Hotel and Casino presently stands at 26 stories
high and boasts1802 rooms.
Holy Cow Casino Café & Brewery, 2423 Las Vegas Blvd.
In 1991 the Holy Cow was opened offering gaming, dining, and freshly
brewed beers. Enjoy friendly, Midwestern hospitality on the Las Vegas
"Strip" at Holy Cow Casino, Café & Brewery.
Vegas World - 2000 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Bob Stupak's three acre Vegas World opened on July 13, 1979, with 102
rooms, with the motto "The Sky's The Limit." Attending the
opening was Stupak as well as the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, local
TV personality Gus Giuffre, and City Commissioner Ron Lurie. Despite
a lack of critical acclaim and a genuinely awful location, little Vegas
World had been successful. The property had grown from two to eleven
acres, the casino from 15,000 to 18,000 square feet. She had opened
with 150 slot machines and eight table games and was closing with 1,350
machines and 40 tables. She had generated $7-8 million the first year
and more than $100 million in her final years. On February 1, 1995,
Vegas World closed her doors in preparation of her offspring, the Stratosphere
Stratosphere Tower, 2000 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The Stratosphere Tower emerged at what used to be Vegas World Hotel
and Casino from 1979-1994. The Stratosphere is owned by Stratosphere
Corp., cost $550 million to build, and stands at 135 stories (1149 feet) high with 1500 rooms available. Though the casino opened under its
new name in 1994, the actual tower did not open until 1996. Several
different meeting and private dining rooms are available atop the
tower offering a splendid view of the city. Dining includes restaurants
ranging from the complete elegance of the Top of the World to the casual
dining of McDonald's. The Stratosphere boasts an 80,000 square-foot
casino featuring 44 table games and 1,551 slot and video poker machines.
El Rancho Vegas (Present day SW corner of Sahara and The Strip)
The El Rancho Vegas was built by California hotelman Thomas Hull, who
had built the El Rancho Fresno and El Rancho Sacramento hotels in California.
The grand opening on April 3rd, 1941, hailed the El Rancho Vegas as Las
Vegas' first resort hotel. The main building contained a casino, restaurant,
the Opera House Showroom, and several shops. Low rise bungalow and cottage
buildings radiated outward from the main structure. The property changed
hands several times until 1947, when Beldon Katleman purchased it. He
upgraded the property extensively, which attracted crowds of guests and
celebrities. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward married there in 1958.
The glory days of the El Rancho Vegas faded during the late '50s as
the result of newer rivals on the Strip. The property was destroyed
by fire in 1960 and never reopened.
Circus Circus, 2880 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Circus Circus opened its doors in 1968 at a value of $15 million and
originally had no rooms. Architects Rissman and Rissman Associates designed
a giant pink and white oval shaped circus tent across from the Riviera.
The football field sized casino and big top was built by R.C. Johnson
Construction of Las Vegas. The roof followed the curves of draped canvas,
and pennants ringed its crown. The tent-like canopy had to be poured
in a continual fashion so that no one section would harden before any
other. The result was a roof that produced the image of a taut canvas.
By 1972 it had its first casino tower addition under Rissman & Rissman.
In 1974 ownership changed with the sale of the casino to William Bennett
by original owner, Jay Sarno. In 1975 Bennett decided to add another
tower by the same architect. In 1980 there was another addition, the
"Manor" addition. On August 23, 1993, Circus opened The Adventuredome.
The first theme park in Las Vegas, the 150 foot high, five acre, $90
million dome, enclosed by 8,615 panes of glass (each pane weighing over
300 pounds), features the world's only indoor double-loop, double-corkscrew
roller coaster, The Canyon Blaster, which travels at 55 miles per hour.
Westward Ho, 2900 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Westward Ho opened in 1963 by the company Westward Ho and was designed
by Marnell Corrao Associates with 744 rooms. Westward Ho is the only
casino in Las Vegas with its own live radio station in the making.
Stardust, 3000 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1958, the Stardust opened under ownership of Moe Dalitz and Rella
Factor. Architects in charge of the original construction were Jack
Miller Associates and Paul Williams & John Replogie. The hotel was built for $10 million
and had 1065 rooms available. Also in 1958, the Stardust incorporated
the Royal Nevada. Conjunction of the buildings was designed by Lessman
and added 230 more rooms to the hotel. An addition to the hotel was
made in 1976 under design of the infamous Martin Stern, Jr. The addition
cost $2 million and increased room capacity to 1550 at 32 stories high.
Ownership shifted in 1985 with the purchase of the Stardust by Sam Boyd
of Boyd gaming. The Stardust's luxurious 2 1/2 acre outdoor recreational
complex includes two swimming pools enjoined by neatly manicured tropical
gardens. Graceful palm trees enshroud winding promenades that lead to
the waterfall spas and Fitness Center.
Silver Slipper, 3100 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The Silver Slipper opened on the grounds of the Last Frontier Village
at 3100 Las Vegas Boulevard South in September of 1950 as the Golden
Slipper Saloon and Gambling Hall. Unlike other resorts along the Strip,
the Silver Slipper was strictly a casino operation. It offered neither
hotel nor motel accommodations. When a part of the Last Frontier Village
was demolished for the New Frontier, the Silver Slipper expanded and
became its own casino, separated completely from the New Frontier. On
June 23, 1988, Margaret Elardi, who owned the Frontier, bought the Silver
Slipper for $70 million from Howard Hughes' Summa Corporation. Part
of the agreement was that Summa Corporation would demolish the Silver
Slipper, and this was accomplished on November 28, 1988. On Monday, November
29, 1988, Slipper Slipper closed her doors forever. Elardi turned the
property into a parking lot for the Frontier.
New Frontier, 3120 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1943 the Last Frontier Hotel and Casino opened under design of Rissman
& Rissman and then was renamed to the New Frontier in 1955. 1967
brought about shift of ownership of the New Frontier to Howard Hughes,
as well as its reopening under yet another new name, this time simply
the "Frontier." An addition to the Frontier came in 1969 in
which a new tower was erected and put the property up to a total of
998 rooms at 16 stories high. 1988 shifted proprietorship to Margaret
Elardi, and once again to Phil Ruffin in 1998, buying it for $167 million
and again renaming the Frontier to its former name of the "New
Treasure Island At The Mirage, 3300 Las Vegas Blvd. S
1993 marked the grand opening of the Treasure Island by Mirage Resorts.
Designed by Atlandia Design; Joel Bergman and Mindscapes, Jon Jerde
Consulting Architect, this $430 million resort has 2900 rooms and suites.
In 1999, a $60 million remodel was completed. There are 18,000 square
feet of meeting space available with each meeting room wired for high
speed internet access via T-3 lines. Experienced by more than 5 million
spectators since its debut in 1993, Mystère by Cirque du Soleil
is a dynamic kaleidoscope of sights and sounds performed in a state
of the art theatre. The production credited with changing the face of
Las Vegas entertainment and has been honored five times as "Best
Production Show" by the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Treasure Island
is also home to the only pirate ships in Vegas. Every 90 minutes each
evening, cannon and musket fire are exchanged in a dramatic pyrotechnic
battle between the pirate ship Hispaniola and the British frigate H.M.S.
Britannia in the middle of Buccaneer Bay.
The Mirage, 3400 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The Mirage opened in 1989. Designed by Joel Bergman For Atlandia Design
& Construction & Marnell Corrao, the 30-story Mirage was built
at a cost of $650 million and offers 3303 rooms. MGM purchased the Mirage
resorts in 2000. The Events Center features an expansive 90,000 square
feet of pillar-free space. With flexible ceiling rigging, two loading
docks, broadband internet, LAN, fiber optics and ethernet network capabilities,
it is properly equipped to host events. The open-air home of Siegfried
& Roy's Royal White Tigers is available for public viewing around
the clock. A 2.5-million-gallon Dolphin Habitat is home to a family
of Atlantic bottlenose dolphins. Its purpose is to provide a healthy
and nurturing environment for dolphins, as well as to educate the public
about marine mammals and their environment - including their role in
the ecosystem. Another attraction to The Mirage is Shadow Creek Golf
Course. In the short time since its appearance on the American golfing
landscape in 1989, Shadow Creek has achieved national recognition.
Casino Royale, 3411 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Nob Hill was a small casino on the East side of the Strip, which was
formerly Joey's New Yorker Night Club located at 3411 Las Vegas Boulevard.
It opened in 1979. Nob Hill closed in 1980, and on January 1, 1992, it reopened
as Casino Royale. The Casino Royale, which is between Venetian and Harrah's,
is owned by Tom Elardi, previously the manager of the Frontier
and a relative of the Frontier's ex-owner, Margaret Elardi. The Casino
Royale has 152 rooms.
Harrah's Las Vegas, 3475 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Originally the Holiday Casino (1973-1992), Harrah's opened under this
new name in 1992 under ownership of Holiday Inn Inc. / Harrah's Entertainment
Inc,. and design by Morris Brown & Associates. In 1997 there was
an expansion and remodel of Harrah's at a cost of $200 million. Harrah's
sits on 17.3 acres. It contains 2,587 hotel rooms and 90 hotel suites
located in the 23 story Mardi Gras North Tower, the 15 story Mardi Gras
South Tower, and 35 story Carnaval Tower. Harrah's also has 25,000 square
feet of convention space, an arcade, outdoor swimming pool and spa facilities.
Inside the Spa is a state-of-the-art health club, whirlpools, a steam
room, and sauna and beauty salon.
Imperial Palace, 3535 Las Vegas Blvd.
Originally the Flamingo Capri (1959-1979). On November 1, 1979, the beautiful
resort dropped the name Flamingo Capri, and the Imperial Palace came into
its own and the number of employees grew to 1,100. Owner Ralph Englestad
chose an Asian theme. Influenced by Japanese temple architect Merlin
Barth, the Imperial Palace utilized blue imported Japanese roof tiles.
The Asian theme is also realized in the interior, from the decor to
the cuisine to the employees' uniforms. On December 1, 1981, the Imperial
Palace opened its Auto Collection with just 200 automobiles. This collection
has since grown to include more than 800 antique, classic and special-interest
vehicles spanning 100 years of automotive history. The collection is
located on the 5th floor of the parking facility and is continually
rotating in and out of the Auto Collection from storage and nationwide
tours to give it a fresh appeal for repeat visitors. Many celebrity
automobiles have been displayed over the years, from the Cadillac El
Dorado of Elvis Presley to Benito Mussolini's 1939 Alfa Romeo. In 1988
an additional 19 stories were constructed, boosting the capacity of
the Imperial Palace to 2700 rooms including 225 suites.
Caesar's, Palace 3570 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Caesar's Palace opened in 1966 under the architectural design of Melvin
Grossman, and it then included 680 rooms and was valued at $25 million.
From 1978-1990 the hotel underwent additions designed by Marnell Carrao
boosting it from 680 rooms to 1134. In 1996, Caesar's added a Palace
Tower expanding the casino from 1134 to 2400 rooms at 29 stories high.
This addition also boosted the value of the casino to $600 million.
Production of the casino's additional tower came from Bergman, Walls
& Youngblood, and designing architects were Wimberly, Allison, Tong,
& Goo. Caesar's now features the new Palace Tower Convention Area
which created 110,000 square feet of new conference space. It can be
subdivided in countless ways to provide banquet or meeting space for
any size group, from ten to 5000.
Flamingo Hilton, 3555 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Originally costing $6 million, the formerly named Flamingo Hotel and
Casino opened its 200 rooms to the public in 1946 and was originally
designed by George Vernon/ Russell & Honnold and Luckman & Pereira, originally owned by Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel and Gus Greenbaum. In 1967 Greenbaum
sold the property to Kirk Kerkorian who gave it a low-rise remodel
in 1968. As of 1972, Kerkorian sold the casino to Hilton Corporations
who renamed it to the Flamingo Hilton in '74. In 1977, the Flamingo
Hilton was given a tower addition by Rissman & Rissman Architects
with Heath & Co. Porte Cochere. Finally, through the 1980s, four
additional towers were built, increasing rooms to present total of 3642.
O'Sheas Casino is now the latest acquisition of the Flamingo Hilton,
adding to the gambling experience with an Irish twist.
Barbary Coast, 3595 Las Vegas Blvd.
In March of 1979, Michael Gaughan, the oldest of two sons of El Cortez
owner Jackie Gaughan had a dream, and with Dad's help took a chance
on the Desert Villa located on the famous "Four Corners" of
Las Vegas Boulevard, with the Flamingo Hilton next door, MGM Grand Hotel
and Caesars Palace across the street, and Dunes sitting diagonally.
The outside structure of this casino was designed by Leo A. Daily, and
its interior was done by Yates-Silverman, Inc. and contained150 rooms
and suites. With its lavish display of exquisite stained glass, magnificent
chandeliers and plush decor, it successfully competed with the larger
resorts surrounding it. The Barbary Coast now has two hundred rooms
available. Michael's, which was given an "extraordinary" rating
in the 1998 Zagat Survey, is an intimate 50-seat Victorian-style gourmet
room and is furnished in plush red velvet and deep mahogany. Michael's
features a 40-panel stained-glass domed ceiling, an elaborate crystal
chandelier and imported Italian marble flooring. Michael's has over-sized
wing-backed chairs and etched glass mirrors, and Victorian-lace tablecloths
complete the stunning decor and provide the ideal setting for the culinary
experience of a lifetime.
Dunes, 3600 Las Vegas Blvd.
With the additional financial assistance of the Teamsters Pension Fund,
the 200 room Dunes opened on May 23, 1955. Hollywood musical star Vera-Ellen
provided opening night entertainment with a show billed as the Magic
Carpet Review. With the slogan "The Miracle in the Desert"
the theme was Arabian. It had a porte cochere both modern and nomadic,
with sloping stucco walls that echoed desert tents. On top of its roof
stood a 35 foot tall fiberglass sultan with a billowing cape and plumed
turban. In 1961, Dunes was turned into a resort complex dominated by
another new high rise, the 24-story "Diamond of the Dunes,"
bringing the hotel's number of rooms to 450. This tower for a while
was the tallest building in the state. In December of 1979, Dunes built
a 17-story companion to the Diamond of the Dunes, bringing the total
rooms to 1,300. The new tower advertised the most luxurious suites in
the entire resort world, with multi-level layouts, lavish flora and cascading
waterfalls. In late 1992, Steve Wynn bought the Dunes for $75 million,
closed it down, and on October 20, 1993, the Mirage Resorts, Inc., imploded
the casino and north tower, which was televised. In 1994, the Dunes south
tower was imploded without fanfare to make ready for the building of
Bellagio, 3600 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1998 under the design of Deruyter Butler with Atlandia Design, a
theme by Jerde Partnership, and architecturally configured and contracted
by Marnell Corrao, the Bellagio opened its doors to the public. Owned
by MGM Resorts, the $1 billion Bellagio stands at 36 stories high with
3005 available rooms and suites, and is located on a lot where former
casino the Dunes once stood before its implosion in 1993. Meeting facilities
include a 45,000-square-foot Grand Ballroom, 23,000-square-foot Bellagio
Ballroom and 14 meeting rooms ranging in size from 1,000 to 10,000 square
feet. To ensure that every meeting runs as smoothly as possible, each
meeting room is equipped with speakerphones and data ports. State-of-the-art
audio-visual equipment is available for business presentations, and
a professional staff is on hand to deliver faxes, send mail and even
assist with word processing. The Bellagio includes an array of entertainment.
From its beautiful botanical gardens to the exquisite shops and the
marvelous show "O" from Cirque du Soleil, entertainment never
stops here. Visitors marvel at its fountain shows which occur every
MGM Grand, 3645 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The $106 million, 26 story, 2,100 room MGM Grand Hotel opened to the
general public on December 24, 1973, employing over 4,000 people. The
MGM was built with a movieland theme. In front lay the broad roofs
of the casino, shopping arcade, and lobby, punctuated by the Aztecan
truncated pyramid of the main showroom. The room tower was topped by
an irregular pattern of windows and balconies, finished in mirror glass,
indicating the variety of suites and rooms inside. The 60,000 square
foot casino was finished in the oversized gilt floral swirls and baroque
ornament of a 1920 movie palace. In 1985, the Bally Entertainment Corporation
purchased the MGM for $550 million, changing its name to the Bally Grand
Bally's, 3645 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Bally's was originally built in 1973 as the MGM Grand with 2,100 rooms,
and a 780 room wing was added in 1980. After a tragic fire in November,
1980, Bally's reopened in July, 1981 with 2,814 rooms. In 1986 its name
was changed to the Bally Grand. In 1996, Bally's was purchased by the
Hilton corporation, and its name was changed back to Bally's. In 1995,
a mile-long monorail opened, connecting The Bally Grand (Flamingo
Rd. & Las Vegas Blvd.) to the MGM Grand (Tropicana Ave. & Las
Vegas Blvd.). In August of 1995, it was reported that the monorail saw
20,000 people a day since its opening in June. In 1996, the Hilton Hotels
Corporation purchased the Bally Grand for $3 billion changing its name
Dunes, 3650 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1955, the Dunes opened under ownership of Joe Sullivan and Al Gottesman.
Robert Dorr, Jr. and John Repogle were the architects in charge of the
original $4 million, 200 room casino. In 1964 the Dunes remodeled by
design of Milton Shwartz and in '92 Sullivan and Gottesman sold their
property to Steve Wynn for $75 million. The Dunes didn't have what Wynn
was looking for however, and he imploded it in 1993.
Paris, 3655 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In May/June of 1995, Bally Chairman Arthur Goldberg announced a new
project to be built on the property known as Bally's Paris/Paris Casino
Resort. Plans called for a 50 story replica of the Eiffel Tower, Arc
de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Paris Opera House, Parc Monceau, and the
River Seine. The plans for the $420 million Paris called for 2,500
hotel rooms on the property immediately south of Bally's with its 2,800
rooms, have been developed by a group of architects led by Joel Bergman
who was previously responsible for The Mirage and Treasure Island. The
Paris Hotel and Casino opened in 1997. The Paris stands 50 stories high
with a ½ scale Eiffel Tower Replica and 2916 rooms and suites.
This magnificent hotel cost $785 million to build and is owned by Bally's
and Park Place Entertainment.
Jockey Club, 3700 Las Vegas Blvd. S
A timeshare property, the Jockey Club is a non-gaming resort featuring
spacious one and two bedroom suites fully equipped with kitchen, stereo,
VCR and videos. The conversion to timeshare of The Jockey Club, a 348-unit
condominium complex on the Las Vegas Strip, occurred in the late 1970s.
Aladdin, 3667 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Originally opened in 1963 under the name of Tally-Ho, then renamed to
King's Crown in 1965, and finally as the Aladdin in 1966. The original
architect in charge was Lee Linton. In 1975 Linton was put in charge
of renovating it for the first time. In 1981 Martin Stern, JR. AIA was
put in charge of yet another renovation. In 1998 the Aladdin was imploded
to ready it for remodeling. In 2000 under the design of Nadel Architects
in accordance with ADP/FD, Fluor Daniel, Inc. Contracting and interior
decor from Brennan Beer Gorman Monk, the Aladdin opened its doors to
the public with a brand new look now costing $1.3 billion. The Desert
Passage at the The Aladdin is a 500,000 square foot "shopping adventure"
featuring retail, dining, entertainment and night life
Boardwalk, 3750 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1969, the Holiday Casino was owned by the Holiday Inn. Looking like
a riverboat, the 250 foot hotel was boarded by means of a gangplank
over an artificial pool. It contained 400 slot machines, roulette, keno,
a big-six wheel, crap tables and a 450 seat lounge. The 15 story hotel
had 550 deluxe rooms, suites and deluxe doubles all boasting color TVs,
free ice, a massive fresh water swimming pool and a sunbathing area.
It also contained banquet facilities seating 450 people, and the restaurant
was called Elegant Farmer Restaurant. The Boardwalk Holiday Inn is a
654 room resort that sits on five acres between the Bellagio and Monte
Carlo, and across the street from the Paris Las Vegas and Aladdin.
Monte Carlo, 3770 Las Vegas Blvd. S
1996 marked the opening of the Monte Carlo Hotel and Casino with ownership
by Mandalay Resort Group and Mirage Resorts. Designed by Dougall Design
Associates (California), the resort cost $344 million and stands at
35 stories high with 3014 rooms and suites available. They also offer
a variety of audio visual equipment. Also, the Monte Carlo's expert
catering staff will help you design the perfect special event. From
large receptions and luncheons to simple refreshment breaks, they have
all the catering needs you could experience. The Monte Carlo Brewery
features fine microbrews prepared on site. Other features of the resort
include a wedding chapel and entertainment such as magician extraordinaire,
Lance Burton. Fitness features include a lavish spa with massage services,
a pool, fitness room, and golf concierge services.
New York New York, 3790 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Doors to the New York New York opened in 1997 with a design by Architect
Neal Gaskin of Gaskin and Bezanski, in association with Yates Silverman
under ownership of MGM Grand and Primadonna. This New York City themed
resort cost $350 million to build and stands 49 stories in the air with
2119 rooms and suites available to the public. New York-New York Hotel
& Casino offers diverse meeting space and configurations. The uncanny
realism of the New York theme provides pizzazz, color and energy to
the property's larger-than-life 84,000 square foot casino, which includes
over 80 gaming tables and more than 2,000 state-of-the-art slot machines.
You will find a variety of entertainment ranging from the excitement
of a Broadway show to the thrills of a roller coaster ride. There are
themed bars such as the ESPN Sports Zone and Coyote Ugly which is modeled
after the New York original as well as the major motion picture.
MGM Grand, 3799 Las Vegas Blvd. S
On November 30, 1990, the Marina Hotel and Casino was closed and on
October 7, 1991, groundbreaking occurred for the new MGM Grand. The
MGM Grand opened in December 1993 with 5034 rooms and suites, making
it the largest hotel in the world. The former Tropicana Golf Course
was transformed into an outdoor seasonal amusement park with a number
of theaters and rides, including the free-fall Skyscreamer and a roller
coaster. The MGM complex now includes a 380,000 square foot conference
center. In 1999, the former Leo Lion entrance building at the Strip
and Tropicana was replaced with the present gold statue of Leo. A pedestrian
overpass system at the busy Strip/Tropicana Avenue intersection now
links the Tropicana, MGM Grand, New York New York and Excalibur Hotel
& Casinos. The MGM Grand was designed by Veldon Simpson; Martin
Stern, Jr. and stands at an impressive 30 stories high. Rather than
imploding a viable structure, the MGM incorporated the original structure
of the Marina Hotel.
Tropicana, 3801 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Opened in 1957 under ownership of Aztar Corp., the Tropicana cost $15
million and stands 19 stories high with 1873 rooms and suites available.
M. Tony Sherman with Yates Silverman compose the designing team. The
Tropicana's meeting facility boasts 18 breakout and meeting rooms able
to accommodate small intimate groups or combine together for a lavish
banquet seating of 2300. Convention space consists of over 105,000 square
feet of available area. At the Tropicana you will find a full service
spa for your relaxation, a pool featuring two waterfalls and a blackjack table in the water.
Excalibur, 3850 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The Excalibur Hotel and Casino opened in 1990 realizing the architectural
design of Veldon Simpson and Marnell Corrao Ass. Inc. This medieval
themed casino is valued at $290 million and holds 4008 rooms at 28 stories
high. Excalibur's new banquet and meeting facility houses over 12,000
square feet of space, perfectly arranged for any occasion. Nine different
rooms are available for any occasion, from a grand ballroom to an intimate
gathering. The facility also offers complete catering services. For
your shopping pleasure, with 15 quaint boutiques offering everything
from the simplest T-shirt to a beautifully hand-crafted suit of armour,
their medieval mall has it all.
Luxor, 3900 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1993 Luxor Hotel and Casino opened its doors with architectural design
by Veldon Simpson. The pyramid-shaped casino/hotel was valued at $365
million and stood 32 stories high containing 2526 rooms and suites.
In 1996, two tower additions were constructed by the same architect
and boosted Luxor's value to $665 million and added 2000 rooms, bringing
the total to 4526 for this Egyptian-themed hotel. The Egyptian Ballroom
is a blend of modern sophistication and ancient wonder, with 20,000
square feet of space that's easily adaptable to your every need. You'll
also find Luxor's convention services staff and catering capabilities
to be fit for a pharaoh, ensuring your peace of mind and your event's
success. The Luxor features endless entertainment from shows such as
the stylistic Blue Man group to its arcade and spectacular night club,
Hacienda, 3950 Las Vegas Blvd. S
In 1956, the Hacienda Casino/Hotel opened for business under the ownership
of Warren "Doc" Bailey and Judy Bailey. The casino cost the
Baileys $6 million and it consisted of 266 rooms. In 1975 it was remodeled
and sold to Circus Circus Entertainment, and then to the Mandalay
Resort Group for $80 million in 1995. In 1996 it was imploded to make
way for Mandalay Bay.
Mandalay Bay, 3950 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Mandalay Bay opened in 1999 under architectural design by Klai:Juba.
It values at $1 billion and holds 3709 rooms at 43 stories high. Mandalay
Bay features a full-service Business Center located on the Casino Level,
one level above the Conference Center. Operating hours are 6 a.m. to 9
p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday. Aside from standard
business services such as faxing, shipping, and electronic services,
the Business Center offers the convenience of a "private conference
room" that may be rented by the hour for your last minute meeting
room requirements. One of the greatest entertainment features of this
hotel is its huge pool park featuring a wave pool and river that takes
you floating merrily around the park. Mandalay Bay is also home to several
of the top restaurants, night clubs and lounges in Las Vegas.
Four Seasons, 3960 Las Vegas Blvd. S
With the opening of Mandalay Bay in 1999 came the Four Seasons Hotel
to Las Vegas. The Four Seasons Las Vegas occupies the 35th through 39th
floors of the Mandalay Bay and has a total of 424 rooms available. The
Four Seasons has several conference rooms and ballrooms available for
any meeting needs. Though it shares the same building as the Mandalay
Bay, it includes its own separate pool complex and amenities. If the
Four Seasons pool is not enough, hotel guests are also welcome to use
the Mandalay Bay deluxe wave pool at their leisure.
Glass Pool Inn, 4613 Las Vegas Blvd. S
The Glass Pool Inn was built in 1952. Its kidney-shaped, 54,000-gallon
signature attraction features seven large, porthole-like windows that
face the Strip. Oringinally named The Mirage, the motel changed its
name when then-owner Allen Rosoff sold the rights to the name to Steve
Wynn in 1988. The transaction worked perfectly for both parties involved—business at the Glass Pool Inn boomed after the name change and Wynn's
success with the Mirage properties is well documented.